NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi everyone, little advice

Hi everyone let me start by saying I have been all thru this forum and you are the nicest people I have ever run accross on the web! I love greys, I bought my my Togo when I was just 16 when I was about 21 I had some stages to go thru in life and she went to stay with my aunt, well they bonded and she quikley became her baby, this is all ok cause they are very happy together.

I am 35 now and I would like to start again and I am thinking of adopting a bird named Charlie from a rescue center here in N Ca. Little background, hes 15-20 raised by a elderly couple husband passes away and wife went to a facility. In his foster home they say hes very loving and relishes his time with all their family members. I have not met him in person as of yet wont make any decisions till I do.

Now about me, my husband and I have been married 10 years we have a 16 year old boy. I have not been working for almost a year but I will be returning on a part time basis. We are kinda couch potatoes and love our time just hanging out.(many hours a night)

Sorry so long I want to make sure I am at the right period in my life for this time.

So my questions are with me gonna return to work he will be home alone for about 6 hours a day ( with my 2 shihtzus staring at him) does all this fit together? Can I do this ?? Alot of you work full time jobs?? I feel I have alot of time on my hands even returning to work is it enough to take in such a mature parrot??

Long winded and probley made no sense, but any suggestions will help<br><br>Post edited by: cflanny, at: 2008/08/19 19:17

Hi cflanny & Welcome to the forum.

Many of our members work full time & still have happy greys.Working part time im sure will work,as long as you leave a tv or radio on & provide your grey with plenty to occupy him in his cage im sure you will soon find a routine that suits all.Regarding the dogs i wouldnt leave them in the same room as the grey for 6 hours,as much as im sure they are well behaved the temptaion to torment him may be too much for him ;)

Good for you for considering an older grey,so many new owners want to go for babies ;)

Hello and welcome! I'm sure that he will be fine while you are at work. It is great that you are taking on a rehome! We looked into the rescue here in San Diego and they make it almost imposible to adopt from them. You have to take classes from them $25 a person and they want everyone in the house to take the classes. And there are 3 different classes you have to take (so that would have been $300 for me). Oh and that doesn't even include the price to adopt a bird. Then on top of that they only hold one of the classes every other month (so at least 6 months just to get threw the classes). Then there is the home inspetion and after all of that there is still no gerintee that they will let you adopt a bird. :P So yep we went for a baby. Our senegal Martini is a rehome to us. He is 3 years old. I found him via Craigslist.

Welcome cflanny!!!

It's nice to have you here and thanks for posting such a nice introduction and background. You sound like a GreYt person to consider rescuing/adoption. There is nothing more rewarding for both you and the rescued critter that needs a new and loving "Forever" home. :-)

As Suzzique stated, some rescues do require a class or a few and qualify anyone considering adopting. They do this for 2 reasons 1) To ensure the prospective new owner knows what they are getting in to by having them attend a class 2) Some (not all) charge a minimal fee for the class and also an adoption fee. This provides the rescue some funds towards their astronomical expenses in taking, providing medical care and feeding all these poor rescues what they need while observing their individual characteristics, personalities etc. to ensure they match them with an owner that could handle the challenge of providing a good home for them.

Form the description of Togo you posted, He sounds like a wonderful Grey that just needs a final home to love and enjoy life together.

Looking forward to hearing more from you as this progresses. :-)

I don't have a problem with taking classes. I too think it is a good idea. Even the cost is not that big a deal. It was the fact that the one here required that EVERYONE in the house take the class. And that they didn't offer all 3 classes every month. It's almost like they are doing everything they can to discurage people from adopting a bird. I don't have a problem with paying an adoption fee. Right now of all of our pets Alex is the only one that we went and bought. All 3 of our cats came as rescues. Our snake came from a middle school scince class (that was about 12 years ago). Our dog came from the pound. And the turtle is from one of my oldest daughters partner's aunts who didn't want it. Martini is also a rehome.

Thanks guys, I have been in close contact with the center and hope to talk to the foster parents soon to schedule a visit with Charlie. the process for Mikaboo is 1 class(tons scheduled),1 phone interview and a home visit.(BTW they will schedule phone classes if the adoptive parents live outta the area)

They have sooooo many birds and they are struggling with finances which is one of the reasons I thought I could help in some small way. The people there and all the foster parents are true angels and I wanna be a part of that.

Thank you guys for not thinking I am a little crazy by the sound of my post, I am nervous adopting such a mature bird but so far he has seemed to adapt to the many situations he has been thru in his life so I think I am making the right decision, I just hope I go thru this process and get to come with him. There are other greys there but most have a fear of men and that would be hard to overcome being I am the only female in my home.

he so beautiful and I want to provide him that safe feeling agin in his life.I will keep posting as the process go thru I hope by the end of Sept!

Thanks to all !!

I know Mickaboo very well!! They are just over the hill from us here in the Bay Area. :-)

They offer many classes in cities around the bay area on different days/times. Very well run and organized.

Great organization and people.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hello cflanny and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your pursuit of owning another grey.

I think taking in this rescue is a great idea but you need to wait until you actually meet this bird to see how things go but I am sure with your experience you would do nicely with it.

I also think you are at a good place right now to take on the responsibility of a grey, I work full time and manage to find time for Josey and my sun conure, where there is a will there is a way.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask any and all questions and we will help you in any way we can.

Hi cflanny, I am a new Grey Mom, Mika is just turned 5 months. We both work full time, have a dog in the house and a cat. Mika has adapted well to our times, and he always has his special times just for him. I am sure after you meet this bird you will just no if it is right for both you and him. Best of luck

Carolyn & Mika