NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

odd behavior(i think)

momwf4

Emma(1 1/2yrs) is doing this thing where she holds my finger in her beak sideways and then she does this thing - she jerks her hesd up and down kind of the motion babies being hand fed eat off of a spoon. She does not bite or put any pressure on my finger at all. Usually this follows a head scratch then I scratch her head again. Also she's usually very affectionate at this time - like licking my face doing kisses sounds rubbing her beak against me etc. Any idea what this finger thing means?

That's a habit that's developed when they're babies. Many birds will do that into adulthood. It's called head bobbing and some species do it more than others. It does it for attention like petting or rubbing. Nothing to worry about but I would suggest that you stop kissing her on the mouth for 2 reasons

1---you never can tell when the bird will decide to bite your lip. You might think she will never do this but it's better to be more safe than sorry.

2---Our saliva is extremely toxic to a parrot and if they accidently ingest some, they could get extremely sick----Dave

I actually don't kiss her on the mouth. I kiss her on the side off her beak with the side of my cheek and then I make the kissing sound and when she licks me she's licking my cheek and face not my lips.(although she does try to kiss my mouth sometimes)I don't let her because I do know about the saliva bacteria. I would be absolutly devastated if something happened to her. I love her to pieces!!!! Thanks for the ideas on this finger thing I appreciate it cause I just couldn't figure it out especially cause she's not trying to hurt me at all.