NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey question

oppie

Hello,

My girlfriend an I are thinking about getting a Grey in the future. We have two 'tiels and a Dove. On another board, I was told that we should NOT keep the Grey in the same room as the other FIDs, even though they would never be out when the Grey was, even after the quarantine period. I can't see this. I need more opinions on this. Please give me your thoughts.

Thank you,

Oppie

Well, there are a few points you should think of. Tiels and doves do carry a host of avian diseases and a baby parrot should not be around them. If you get a parrot with the tiels and dove they should not be in the same room till the parrot is older and has a fully functional immune system. Any parrot you buy should be already vaccinated against the Polyomavirus because it will take a little bit to fully protect the bird against the virus. Also, if you have had your tiels and dove for a long time and never had any health issues then it's probably not a bad idea to keep them in the same room, but if you have only had them for a short time I would not risk it. When birds carry a virus it can take a long time for it to show any indications of having it...and even then it may only show in it's feather condition after a few total molts. I won't ever bring home a lovebird, tiel, or budgie because of the risk of them being carriers for Poly, PDD, and PBFD.

So basicly, if your current FIDs are over 5 years or so then it's probably safe, but not if they are new and young.

Hi, BMustee,

Thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know that about 'tiels, but what you said makes sense. I've had the one 'tiel for about 14 years, and the other for around 10 years. They are healthy.

Thanks again,

Oppie

Hi,

We lost our Eclectus last month to liver disease. She had it a while. She was only 2. We are going to get another "big" parrot when the time is right. My girlfriend wants a male Eclectus, but we are considering a Grey as well (one or the other). Can anybody compare the two?

Thanks,

Oppie

If your tiels/dove are healthy then you should be okay, but always follow a quarantine period regardless. I don't know much about doves but it would seem to me that they might be irritated by all the dust produced by the tiels and possible grey. Also, they are at grave risk for damage when living in close proximity to hookbills, because they simply don't have the right 'equipment' in terms of beaks etc.

It is very important to respect the pecking order in your home, to avoid jealousy with the new bird. Always greet/feed/play/groom etc your first bird first, proceeding in the order you got them in.

If you have to move furniture etc to make space for the grey's cage do so well in advance of you adding him to the room, like while he's still in quarantine so your birds do not associate him with the disruption. Begin telling them a new bird is coming and let them watch/help you set up the new bird's final cage, away from your existing cages so everyone feels like they have their own space because if you place the cages close together the pre-existing birds will feel like their space is being invaded.

When it's finally time to bring the grey out of quarantine, do not let your birds see the new grey. Put them all in their carriers in the living room ro something. Take the new bird and put him in the room in his cage. Then, by order of the pecking order, take each pre-existing bird in individually to see the new addition before returning them to their cages. It is very important that when your other birds first see the grey, you are holding THEM and not the other way around.

Then, as hard as it may be, go about your normal routine with the birds, and don't pay much attention to the newcomer until all your other birds have spent their usual amount of time with you.

To answer your other question with the electus vs greys, I haven't kept an electus but have heard they might be more independant.

The greys obviously aren't as colorful but seem to be better talkers.

Also, they both can have a predisposition towards feather plucking, altough with electus it seems to be more diet/disease related than anything.

I have also heard that both greys and the male electus are shy and retiring, slthough each bird is an individual.

Oops. I forgot to add this to the first post, aside for disease risks they often recommend not keeping Greys with other birds because they often do not mix well with other species, (most african birds are like this) because in the wild you wouldn't see a flock of greys close to another flock of parrots, whereas the south american birds often mingle together in order to share ressources.