NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

question??

Tycos_mom

No idea Pat - I put Bella's cage in our surround window area because I read that greys really require sunlight and that they often sun bathe. But what that actually translates into in terms of quantity and time in the sun - no idea. I'm wondering if that is one of those areas we just don't have a good deal of reference material on?

Umm.. hmm.. i don't honestly know but i know the recommend UV light exposure is something like eight hours a day.. that's a long time in a window.

as for blue spectrum lamps... i don't know about them, but you could use specifically formulated UV lamps/bulbs for birds (can be pricey) or pick up ones made for reptiles.

Yep Tiny, that sounds like something I read as well. I remember thinking - wow - they really need sunlight! Then when I read they had calcium deficiency issues I wondered if that is why they need so much sun light - vitamin D.... Certainly something to try and get more information on! Bella seems to really enjoy the all day sun - she can go in and out of the sun as needed, so she has shade and sun and I kind of leave it up to her to decide when she wants to be in the sun, but it seems often.

I know it sounds odd but greys do need sunlight in order to make vitamin D. They can end up with a vitamin D definicy other wise. My next big project for my birds will be an outside aviary so that they can get more sun but it maybe after the first of the year before I can really start on it.

Hi Suzzique, no, it doesn't sound odd at all, not to worry :) We need sunlight too for the vitamin D! And if I'm not wrong, vitamin D facilitates the absorbtion of calcium. Greys seem to have calcium deficiency problems - maybe the lack of vitamin D is part of that?