NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Chewing

HeatherStrella

Hello, I just found this site. I have a 15 month old CAG and I just found out he's been chewing the under side of his wings. I took him to the vet to get his nails trimmed and they checked his wings...they found that he'd been chewing the feathers. I had him at the vet in December and didn't see any evidence of feather chewing then so I think it's only been going on for a couple months. The vet thinkgs it's because he's bored. I work during the day (7am to 3pm)and my husband is home with him until 2pm. He doen't like my husband. He has his own TV and stereo. He hasn't really taken a liking to any toys except shredders. We have two cages for him. One in his room and one in the living room. OK, now for my question...I was thinking about getting another bird...as a buddy to him. I'm thinking maybe a cockatiel. I'd keep her in the same room/separate cage. Have any of you ever done that?? If he were to get a buddy, does it need to be the same species? Thanks for any answers/suggestions!!

Heather

Getting another bird won't help his chewing/plucking and there's no way of telling whether they will like each other. It doesn't matter if it's the same species. It's very easy for a parrot to tune out another parrot when he/she wants to or needs to do something else such as chewing feathers. The chewing is what you should be worrying about. You went to the vet and the final diagnose was boredom? Did he suggest anything for you to do?

A grey needs at least 4 to 5 hrs out of a cage every day. A cage bound grey will definitely start plucking and or chewing feathers. Besides the inside of a cage, toys have to be outside, preferably on a playstand.

Greys are known to have extremely dry skin and they should be bathed or sprayed regularly and even more so when there's a plucking/chewing problem.

Greys who have very dry skin often develop clogged pores in the lower shafts of feathers which makes them pull/chew/pluck feathers and that's why bathing/misting is necessary.

If his cage is near any heating vents, that could cause dry skin.

There are certain times of the year when there's very little humidity and that can cause dry, scaly skin.

The 2 most important things that you should get involved in is

1----giving your grey much more freedom out of the cage

2----bathing and misting your grey so that the skin will eventually become more supple and less dry.--Dave

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear your bird is having a troubled time.

I would be inclined to think if you're struggling to give one bird the attention he/she needs (according to the bird), then maybe two will be worse.

Even if he doesn't like toys I would make sure they are always in with him (in rotation to keep his interest up) and maybe you could try putting a branch off a safe tree, like a bottle brush, in for him to shred. (I haven't seen a bird yet who doesn't like to climb all over a branch and chew it to bits). It will keep him amused for yonks!

I'm interested to know what type of interaction he has with you outside of his cage?

I wish you the best of luck,

Rachel

MrSpock, the vet said that Harrison is in the beginning stages of feather chewing. She said I need to step up the toys and interactive play. The problem I have is, I haven't had much luck with toys. I recently got him a "treasure box"...I put his favorite treat in it along with his not so favorite treats in it...he spends about half an hour at it trying to get his treats out. If I kept it full of treats all the time, he'd keep at it, I'm sure. My husband found more of the same type of thing today and we'll be hanging them around his cage. As far as being out of his cage, he's out for about an hour each morning while I get ready for work and then from 3pm to 9pm he's out with us. I do have problems knowing what to do with him, though. All the books and forums say to play with him, chat with him, teach him things...but HOW??? I thought I'd be good at this...I've worked with adults with disablities all of my adult life and have taught independent living skills to people who didn't even want to learn. I'm also a sign language interpreter in an elementary school...you'd think I'd be good at knowing how to teach, but I'm lost. I did all kinds of research before I got Harrison. I had parrots growing up...but never a Grey. He really likes to nibble and caress my fingers with his beak. He will hold my hand with his talon and rub my fingers for a long time. He climbs all over me...Do you have any suggestions as to what kinds of activities we can do together? We also go outside together when it's warm.

Humidity...we recently bought a humidifier so that problem should be solved.

Itchy skin...he tolerates baths. He doesn't hate them but doen't like them either. I was spraying him but now I'm putting him in a pot of warm water that has aloe in it. My husband read that aloe can help his itch skin. (if that's the probelm)

I only suggested getting another bird because I thought it might be good for Harrison. You are absolutely right, Rachel, I don't have time for another one. I just thought it would be good for him during the day. Too bad I don't have a neighbor with one, they could hang out during the day. ??

As far as a diagnosis....the vet said he was a good weight (424 grams), he looked good (other than under his wings) and he's been doing well. I just had a gram stain done in December...had his mouth checked too...or is that what a gram stain is? Well either way, I had his poop checked and his mouth checked. All was good.

Anyway, I am desperate. I am devastated that he's started the feather picking. I feel like a total failure. I know I haven't done enough for him. I could really use some help here. Any advice is welcome...thanks!!

Heather

Toys------start giving different pieces of wood that can be destroyed. Greys are well known to be chewers. Make sure the wood is on the hard side.

Bathing----Almost all greys dislike bathing. Change to cold water. They prefer cold water as opposed to warm or room temp water. When bathing, make sure that the underneath areas of the wings and other hidden places are soaked down. greys have a waterproof set of feathers and water usually runs off them. The wings need to be pulled away from the body about 1 inch so that that area can be soaked down. The important thing here is soaking as opposed to just washing the grey down. It's the skin that has the problem. Soak him down and let him drip dry at his own pace. The longer he stays wet the better. If you're using Aloe Vera Gel and watering it down, that won't help. You need to get 100% ALOE VERA JUICE. Make sure it says 100% on the bottle. Pharmacies and Dept stores such as Walmart carry it. It costs about $8 for a 1 gal.jug. Fill a mister with 1/2 juice -1/2 water and saturate him as best as you can. It might involve 2 people doing this.

Games--take a rope, make a loop, let him see it and try to start a tiny game of tug of war.

Dealing with all types of problems that humans have aren't the same as a bird's problems nor are they as serious so stop kicking yourself.

"""Anyway, I am desperate. I am devastated that he's started the feather picking. I feel like a total failure. """'

Feather plucking/ chewing isn't the end of the world. It just needs to be treated when it first shows itself which is now. There's thousands of birds that have that problem in all stages of seriousness.

Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying you're doing this but if you or your hubby have been petting areas like the lower back, under the wings, lower breast area or near the vent area, then stop it. That can cause arousal which can cause feather chewing or plucking.

There is no overnight cure for plucking and chewing. It takes time for the urge to ease up. Sometimes, sexual frustration can cause that and before you ask, that can happen to a bird that's 1 yr or older even if the bird has no sexual abilities because of a young age. It's nature that's dictating that. The humidifier is a good idea.

A gradual change in weather can cause feather chewing

A bird that's about to molt or has just finished molting will sometimes pluck or chew.

But most importantly, you gotta relax cause your grey is gonna pick up on the fact that you're very upset concerning something that has to do with him. If he gets uptight, he'll chew somemore.

You really gotta calm down about this. It isn't the end of the world and in no way did you fail him---Dave

Hi, thank you for responding. We did get the 100% Aloe Vera Juice stuff. Now that you mention it, I wonder if he can tell that I worry about him. I wish I had the kind of job where I could take him with me. B) Then I wouldn't worry so much!!

Yes, I am petting those forbidden areas.:ohmy: I do it A LOT. Darn it!! It's become habit for me...It started when I would hold him under my chin and then I put my hand on his back. I have a CAG book that says to do that to get them used to "playing dead". But, I take advantage of that teaching time by petting him also. I pet him from his back to the end of his tail. He doesn't act like it's bothering him, but if I'm causing some sort of hormonal thing in my little man, I'll stop.

Thank you so much!!

Heather

Our grey (Suki) has been picking/chewing her feathers for about a year now. I have not been able to get a handle on it. Despite the baths, etc. So now, we have upgraded her cage to a 3 foot wide cage by 2 feet deep and loaded all sorts of toys in it. Wood, Acrylic, shredder materials, you name it. Thus far, it's been about 3 weeks, and behold - it looks as though she is growing the feathers in and happily so. I actually count 7 red tail feathers. She looks like crap because it's so patchy, but ironically, that is the best sign because I know they are coming back.

Play time, good diet and don't be afraid to add toys and make sure there is room for all the toys. If the greys are in a smaller cage and you load it up, there is no room for the bird to move.

Patience - key of the game.

Hi Yankeebobo. Thanks for the reply. Harrison's main cage is 40x30x45 (WidthxDepthxHeight). His other one is just a tad smaller. I've noticed more and more of the fluffy white feathers coming out of him...especially near his vent. It doesn't look like he's missing any feathers, but it doesn't look like he's molting either...no pin feathers coming in.

I've tried playing games with him, but he just seems to have this "I cannot be bothered with this" kind of attitude...My husband and I played a couple games together and showed what a wonderful time we had....but still no interest...little turkey!!

Anyway, congrats on Suki growing some of her feathers in!! That's really wonderful...it sounds like you're a wonderful mommy...er umm..daddy?? lol...have a good day :)

Heather

P.S. This was the first toy he ever showed interest in. While he was still playing with it, my husband went out and bought a couple more that are a bit different. My husband wasn't even back yet and Harrison had lost interest...lol

aaharplay.jpg