NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wife's due in March...How to introduce to CAG

Keywe

My wife and I are expecting a new addition to our family in March, and I would appreciate any advice on how to introduce our Keywe to him/her. I work out of our house, and share Keywe's room with her for an office. Her and I spend A LOT of time together, and I don't really feel this will change too much. Sharing the attention won't be an issue, but I know that they get jealous at times, and she IS Daddy's girl. I know that her beak is definitely able to snip a little finger off...She's done a number on mine!:pinch:

Thanks for the comments!

Well, to get her used to the fact a baby will be in the house you may want to play the sound of a baby crying now and then. That way it's not a shock of all of a sudden a screaming banshee is sharing a home with her. As long as your time with Keywe isn't changed a whole lot I don't see there being a big issue with her ether. I would not recommend the baby have any hands on interaction with Keywe for a long time to come, but I have heard of many parrots enjoy watching a baby from a treestand near by. I don't think there will be any big issues with the new addition, as long as introduction is done a little bit at a time with the two of them.

Congrats on the baby, and thank you for not being one of those people that say "well, we got a baby coming, better get rid of this parrot."

{Characters-000200D2}{Holidays-000200D3}

If you are planning on housing some of the baby furniture in the rooms that Keywe frequents, such as a crib, or a changing stand, then I suggest that you also put those in place before the baby arrives. That way Keywe will be used to them and won't blame the baby for "bringing" them with him or her.

Congratulations on your new baby, and I second Berna's comments well done for not thinking about rehoming your parrot:)

The others have given excellent advice.

In reality, safety concerns will be geared more for your Parrot, than for your new born. Your Grey will stay away from the baby and will remove itself from an uncomfortable position by flying/running away, rather than trying to harm your baby or young child as he/she grows.

The biggest danger is to your Grey. An infant has no real concept of their actions harming another creature. Any infant/child nearness or interaction must be monitored very closely. It would only take a second for a baby to fall over on a Grey and smash it resulting in death or very crippling injuries.

I know you will do this and also train your child as it grows on how to interact with all creatures, as we all do as our children grow.

Parrots can smell and a plethora of new smells will fill your home once baby arrives. You can start familiarization a head of time by using baby powder now and then and other product smells related to young babies. You can fore go the poopy diaper scent. ;-)

As the "Arrival nears you could also hold, bath and diaper a doll in your Grey's presence. Play CD's and DVD's of cooing and crying babies so he can become accustomed to new baby noises.

You asked about jealousy occurring in your Grey. You can convince your Grey that the baby's arrival is not going to make him lose his place in your family flock. Frequently, owners make the mistake of only paying attention to their parrot once the baby is down for a nap.

The obvious conclusion in your Grey's mind will be, "Baby gone, life is good." It doesn't take an animal scientist to figure out that the displaced parrot will get jealous and angry, if the owner does not take actions before hand to ensure this does not happen. You can do this by ensuring you pay attention to your Grey as you always have, keep a schedule, share your time with BOTH present, not just when you put "Baby" down for a nap.

I am sure others will also chime in with many more things you can do and think about with so many months left before the joyous day of arrival. You will be well prepared, I'm certain. :-)

It is truly wonderful to see a Parrot owner thinking and planning far in advance of how they are going to keep their "Flock" together as one unit living and loving together as new arrivals come. It should always be a Celebration, not a debarkation event of a much loved Flock member, as some chose t do. :-)

I just read your comments and I greatly appreciate them! Such great advice! Keywe is an equally important member of our flock, and by no means will she be neglected. I want to involve her as much as I can keeping safety in mind for both as top priority. I think all of your ideas/advice are awesome, especially the sounds of a baby beforehand...Then I'll just have to listen to Keywe mimicing a baby!!!:P