NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Should I put a collar or something on the TAG

TinyTimneh

I did not want it to come to this but I'm seriously wondering if I should, the reason for this is because his picking habit is so specific, in that it's only in these spots and only new feather growth.

in watching him i've noticed it's as if he thinks this new growth shouldn't be there or something, as if he's gotten so used to being bald in those spots he's determined to keep it that way.

plus by now it's also habit.

so with that in mind should I get him a collar to see if he'll stop mangling his feathers once they've grown in and are no longer 'new and not supposed to be there'. IT would also help to break the habit because he couldn't physically engage in it.

Actually, i'm looking to make him a sort of protective sweater/skirt thing instead of a collar if I can figuring it'll be less irritating to him (it looks like this: http://www.landofvos.com/diy/diy_projects.html#featherfashions)

Am I headed in the right direction here or should I forget this idea?

If you have ruled out anything physical at the vet and you have tryed to change the behavior with lots of baths and lots of preening toys to keep him busy I would try it at this point what have you got to lose except mabie a Grey that will stop pulling out his new feathers

there may be something underlying... it's entirely possible and i think there might be. but the local birdie vet is frustratingly stupid... and is of no help, she actually made me feel like it was all in my head as i was trying to show her all the spots he picks and she basically shrugged and said 'bah, he's a grey, it's normal, it's habit, they're nervous, nothing you can do'. i've never been so frustrated with a person in my life! but i'm hoping when i go back it will be another one of the staff who might be a little more sympathetic, and I WILL be running every blood test and etc that is possible. behaviourally i've tried all i can on my own but have found the only behaviourist around and will be contacting her as soon as I can afford it. this is a quick fix for right now.

Have you tried spraying her with aloe vera juice? It is very good for their skin problems, and irritaion from picking at themselves. I would try everything you can before going to drastic measures as a collar. She won't be happy. :(<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/08/14 03:09

I would only recommend going to collars when the plucking becomes all out mutalation and there are serious health issues of infection in the skin. Once plucking becomes a habbit it's kind of like a drug addiction. You can put a crack head in rehab but if the crack head doesn't want to quit using as soon as they are out they will go right back to smoking crack. The collar is like rehab, and as soon as it's off there is a very good chance that the bird will go right back to plucking, because it was not the birds choice to stop.

I would go to a different vet...even if they are out of town. If all things health wise check out you may want to try a behaviorist before the collar. Collars are very restrictive and would greatly affect his ability to play, move about the cage, and maybe eat. Plus, it's only a few small spots you said he is plucking at...not the full naked chest. Try aloe juice or the spray they sell with the preen oil in it like "molt Ease".<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/08/14 03:41

wow, they actually have 'molt ease' at the local petshop, i'm heading out tomorrow as it is to pick up some quik-stop (finally putting together a birdie first aid kit and emergency kit) and order the aviator harness and those nifty organic pellets i found online. i never knew there was aloe in the molt ease, also, i've tried looking for aloe plants but strangely no luck yet, i'll look for some more florists.

lol... never thought of Jacko as a crack head but i guess it's a pretty accurate comparision. i know i started another topic specifically to ask this queston but while i'm at it bmustee for a grey picking under his wings and down the side of his back/neck area and occaisionally a feather or two from the chest and legs what diseases could it be and what tests should i have done?

I've listed below some of the top reasons for non-behavioral related plucking and ways to remidy them, I think they might be useful for you.

First - Dry skin

Having dry skin can cause the skin to begin to itch and/or hurt when new feathers come in. To resolve this issue you can increase the humidity in the room the parrot is in the most. Increase baths and use aloe products ether instead of water or use after a normal water bath…that’s what I do with Elmo because she hates baths so much it’s easier to dunk her and then spray. I have also read that not enough essential fatty acids can cause skin issues. Going to a base diet of seed and supplementing with pellets is one way to increase the fat in the diet. Not to the point of your bird getting fat of coarse. Adding Red Palm Oil to soft food is also a great way to improve not only skin condition but also the feather condition. The feathers of parrots fed Red Palm with their veggies are softer, glossier, and more supple. While on the topic of nutrition, adding calcium to the diet is also something that could help with plucking. Abba makes a great powder sup. and is easily mixed into veggies.

Second - Parasites

Gardia is a parasite found is water and infects the intestinal track. Birds infected with Gardia usually pick the chest, underside of the wings, the thighs, and the lower back. You bird has a few of these picking patterns so you may want to get him tested for it.

Third - Infection

Some research has found that birds that pick in weird patterns are actually picking over the locations of infected air sacs, with aspergillosis being one of the main infections leading to this.

Fourth - Toxins

Zinc poisoning is a big cause of feather destruction, but it is normally along side with depression and intestinal issues. Other toxins in the air could also cause feather destruction, but you seem to be in the class of parrot owners that know the “no no’s” around birds so I don’t think that toxins are really an issue, but if all else is clear it wouldn’t hurt to check into it.

There are a few more reasons for plucking like allergies, primary skin infections, and hormones, but these are not leading causes and your bird is still young.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/08/14 06:46

I was actuslly wondering about gardia, because the patterns do fit and I do have a tiel who are known to be usual carriers of it and she also has issues with her poop, which can sometimes be a symptom. The chronic form of aspergillosis was the other disease i was thinking it might be. darn I hope not though... i know both diseases are tough to cure.

as for the molt ease i was gonna pick up today... no luck, apparently they've stopped carrying it. darn, although i will be purchasing an aloe vera plant on tomorrow.

geez, if it is gardia or aspergillosis this is gonna be one expensive vet visit...

My avian vet recommends Bird Soother Spray (a sterile aloe/water solution with a topical anesthetic.) It really helps my parrotlet, who plucks to relieve his irritation caused by elevated liver enzymes (under treatment).