NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another veggie question!

Raiderbabe

Hey everyone. Well, lets just say I'm not a cook and nor have I ever been. I am trying to experiment with all kinds of fruits and veggies for Malibu. I bought a yellow squash and no idea what to do with it! Please help me! Also, I bought a three pack of peppers at the store. One is red, one is yellow, and one is orange. I know red and yellow are on the list to feed. Does anyone know about orange? I just am being a cautious mommy and don't want to feed him anything bad. Thanks!

Is the squash a soft skinned summer type? If so Malibu might eat it if it is cut into smallish chunks. The chunks can be lightly steamed also, served warm. If it is a hard sqush it can be cut in two or chunked, then baked or steamed. My understanding is all three of the peppers are all right but LoveMyGreys is the real authority as is Judy.B) ;)

Peeled and Steamed Squash is fine & the peppers are ok to feed too they contain high levels of vitamin C and A ;)

As a general rule, the healthiest veggies are darkest in color. Dark leafy greens, and fruits, veggies or tubers which have dark colored flesh (green, orange or red), contain the highest vitamin content.

I am sure LovemyGreys will provide a comprehensive list. Just quickly, fresh broccoli and kale are great greens to offer. Snap peas and green beans are healthy. Fresh corn on the cob is a great treat. Dried figs are great sources of calcium as are almonds. Fresh carrots are healthy too. If you can get good fresh berries (black berries, blue berries, strawberries etc) they are healthy treats as well as grapes but watch out for the mess and dont over do it on the berry volume! ;)

The following are good sources of vitamin A.

Green Vegetables

Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, spinach, broccoli, dandelion greens, water cress, beet greens, chicory, chard, parsley, green peppers, alfalfa, hot peppers.

Yellow-orange Vegetables

Sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, butternut squash, hubbard squash, acorn squash, hot peppers, red peppers, pumpkin.

Fruits With Decent Vitamin A

Peaches, nectarines, apricots, Japanese persimmon, cantaloupe, raw plantain, papaya, sour red cherry.

Vitamin A is also available from eggs, meat, and many kinds of cheeses in the form of retinol but these should be considered in the other categories.

OTHER VEGGIES & FRUITS - About 15 to 20%

While these foods many not be high in vitamin A, they still have other nutritional value or psychological benefit as part of a varied diet.

Corn on the cob, peas in the pod, bean sprouts, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, leeks, artichokes, zucchini, green beans, okra, asparagus, beets, tomato, potato, apples, grapes, banana, guava, berries, pomegranates, tangerines, oranges, figs, blueberries, plums, kiwi fruit, cranberries, prickly pear, pineapple, etc.

Hey THanks everyone for posting. I am going to the store tonight to see what I can find. I was reading on another post and it says all veggies are ok to eat raw except potatoes. Like I said, I am not a cook. I didn't even know what collard greens were. Do you just buy them in the veggie section and rinse them off and cut them up and serve? Thanks for all your help everyone. I just want to make sure I am feeding him all the things correctly.