NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

birds

she

Hello again thanks to the people who have welcomed me to the forum. I have put on some photos of Charlie the grey and Cracker my cockatiel.

While I am online I would just like to remind all bird lovers about the dangers of heavy metal poisoning.I got Cracker when he was very young to help me get over loosing my two 15 year old cockatiels Polly and Pippin. I had also had them from chicks. I got Cracker and Charlie an aviery last summer and I was thrilled at being able to let them out in the fresh air and sunshine. Within 4 days of getting the aviery Cracker became very ill. He was vomiting,very listless and just so ill. I rushed him to my vet who imediately xrayed him and sure enough he had particals of metal in his crop and gizzard. The vet started treatment right away but told me the out look was not good.I had not long lost my two old cockatiels through old age and kidney failure so I was devistated. Cracker was only a baby.The vet also had me bring Charlie in right away for xrays to be on the safe side. Thank God Charlie was fine, but Cracker was in the vets very ill and with a bleak future ahead.The vet even took him home with him as he was so worried and wanted to treat him during the night if need be. I think the vet was being so cautious because he had just put my other two birds to sleep within 8 weeks of each other. I contacted the company who supplied the aviery and to cut a long story short they were not interested. Trading standards would not do much because it it was a bird and not a person who had been poisoned. I had the wire checked and found out it was imported from China. I was fuming. The company who supplied the aviery were also having problems with other client and stopped trading or at least under the same name. I had to get another company to replace all the wire and I must say they were fantastic.I have the birds insured so was able to claim most of the vet bills back.Cracker was with the vet for over a week but thankfully made a full recovery and is now a lively and very talkative bird. So every one be very carefull when getting your birds toys and such, always get the best.