NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beak troubles...

georgie_forster

My greys beak has changed recently. First there was a small chip on the side. But now it looks like the beak has split/flaked. (i.e. looks similar to when your finger nail splits). Is this normal? Is it just a case of the beak growing out? Or do i need to see a vet?

Any advice is greatful!

Thanks, Georgie

A vet once told me it was a deficiency in biotin and selenium. I went out and bought a vitamin supplement but noticed absolutely no difference in my grey's beak. I stopped using the supplement.

What is actually happening is that the outer layer of keratin is peeling off, and normally the grey will sand it down itself using a concrete perch. If it doesn't you can have it filed by a professional. But it does them no harm, and doesn't prevent them eating so I just leave it alone;) .

Some birds do buff there own beaks. I mainly only see older birds do this though...thats just what I have notived though. Whyman and Smokey are two African Greys I know that both do it and they are both over 20. A Blue and Gold Macaw at my work does it too and he is 8 years old. They all have very nice beaks but it doesn't mean they are healthier.