NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CONCERNED-HEAD BETWEEN BARS

tabbytai

I have a 4 month old Timneh. The cage I have is 5ft X 3ft X 2ft with 1 inch bar spacing. I was standing in front of her cage yesterday and she wanted to get out. I did not want her to come out because a dog was visiting who I don't trust around her. Anyway, she was so anxious to get out that she stuck her head between the bars to try and get me!!! I was so scared but she pulled it back out again pretty easily. I am worried since I don't want her to get strangled but I can't afford to buy a new cage! I just got this one (as my bird is new) and the girls at the shop told me it was a good size and bar spacing for a grey. Any suggestions!? She only does it when I am standing in front of the cage (has done it 2x more since the first!)

TAGs being a slight bit smaller than a CAG should probably have around a 0.75 inch bar spacing. If she is able to get her head through the bars, that's not good. Did you purchase the cage from the same shop that made the recommendation? If so, do you think they'll allow you to exchange it?

Ok, I'm no expert, especially since Loki is still at the breeders, but I know my cage bars have a spacing of 27/32 of an inch apart, or just under 7/8".

You should get in contact with the shop and tell them exactly what you told us, tell them that you might need a new cage as they sold you an improper sized one. They should do a trade in of some sort, as long as the cage you have is still in tip top shape. If not, tell them that they'll have an angry Canadian on their hands ... me :evil: ...

There might be other advice out there, but sounds to me as you should call the shop and let them know.

You could buy a some mesh to put over rhe bars so she can't push her head through she's still young and may grow a bit more till she can't do that. I have a friend that had to put some steel mesh over her cage as well because she couldn't afford a new cage. my big guys are both in large macaw cages and they have 1"bar spacing and they do fine in them but they are a Cag and a Amazon

By the time they are weaned they are full grown so I wouldn't count on her growing into it. 1" is way to big for a TAG...heck, it's too big for my CAG. The cage I have has a 3/4" bar spacing and it's overall size is 32"L x 23"D x 64"H. My CAG is on the small size at 385G...so not much bigger than a tag.

Here is a link to the cage I have where I got it...it's a good price and something you might like to get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parrot-Bird-Wrought-Iron-Cage-32-x23-x66-WI32AS-R_W0QQitemZ250172752249QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46289QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

I absolutely agree with mesh as a short term solution. I used to keep budgies in the cage Nicky has now - and with birds that size, it wasn't just the head but the whole bird that popped out! :woohoo: So I got some tough mesh (tough enough they couldn't shred it) and wrapped the whole cage up. Voila! problem solved. My budgies lived happily in the mesh for years, and it even helped to cut down on the mess outside the cage (snagged all the stuff they flung)

Just make sure the mesh is of a size that won't snag claws or toes, and clean it regularly if it traps dirt. It's also a good climbing aid! (and when you get a better cage, you can reuse it as part of a new playstand)

• 11 months later...

My 13 week CAG has been sticking his head out of the bars since I got him at 5 weeks. Now he's gotten bigger and twice now his head has has gotten stuck... I mean not attention getting ploy stuck, but stuck. The cage spacing is 1 1/4" I know, bad but it's a beautiful cage my Amazon lived in for 15 years and had no problems! I am now looking into other cages. I suppose 3/4" would be best. It's either that or adding mesh to the cage.

If I get a new one, can't really afford it, I don't know what is too small of a cage. The one I have now is 32" x 24" by 66".

Any Ideas or suggestions?<br><br>Post edited by: udannefitz, at: 2009/07/12 19:42

The cage right at the bottom is the one Cleo has.

http://www.drurypets.co.nz/BIRDS/Cages/tabid/5882/Default.aspx

The disadvantages (for me) is that cleaning it is not the easiest, as you literally have to climb into the darned thing to change the paper at the bottom. It does have a pull-out tray, but to remove the tray the cage has to be turned around, as the opening is on the opposite side of the cage door.

However, it is large enough for Cleo to romp around in, she seems very happy in there, so I just take the cleaning issues in my stride.

(Zazu is now almost 14 weeks) This past weekend, after another 'head stuck' adventure, we bought a cage from someone local on Craig's List. It's got 3/4" spaced bars and Zazu was quite surprised that his head had grown so fast that it wouldn't fit thru the bars anymore. The cage is a heavy cast iron, 36" by 28" with an interior of 43" and a flat top. The play-yard my husband built for him fits well on top and he seems more content.

He is also now 'flying' very well and lands fairly well. He hovers, swoops and can change directions in mid air. He does still occasionally crash into the glass doors when he can't find an easy place to land. It worries me alot. Sometimes I have yelled out to remind him 'glass!' and he'll reverse in enough time.

I also think that the mesh is a greYt short term solution that will keep your baby safe, and your mind at ease!! :D Please keep us posted on how it works out!

udannefitz: It's great to hear that you were able to get Zazu a new cage....I actually chuckled out loud on the "head had grown so quickly" comment and my coworkers didn't get it. Ha ha!

I don't quite agree with the mesh idea because no matter how well the mesh is put on, it will always be slightly loose and will become looser because mesh has no weld to it.

I can see that you paid money and are unhappy and that happens to many people. But a good thing you might do is go to EBAY, type in BIRD CAGES and a huge amount of cages plus their pictures and all the information about them will appear. I've purchased cages through EBAY for years ans so have my friends. Most are quality made and there's loads of styles.

PLUS, there's a button you can press which say BUY IT NOW which means that no bidding is necessary. The price you see is what you pay and they're at least 65% cheaper than pet store cages. The big difference is that the EBAY cages have no manufactures name on them. Appearance wise, they look just like the cages sold in pet stores.

The mesh scares me cos Im afraid a foot or a toes can get tangles between the mesh and the cage bars. Also as Dave said the mesh would get loose with time so it can be dangerous.Is it possible to add bars in between each 2 bars and weld them to your cage? It will be costly but at least cheaper than getting a new one

{Nature-00020095}

Thanks everyone for your advise and concerns.

We bought another cage last week with 3/4" spacing and although Zazu was at first amazed that his head grew that quickly, he now is at least safe. He's content in his new cage but would much prefer to be out as much as possible. Still having some difficulty with him flying into glass doors and windows.

Trying to wean him now. He weighed 500 grams this morning 9he's now 14 weeks) He has been slowly climbing in weight and eats some pellets and fresh veggies and fruit.