NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey Symposium

Carolyn

Just returned from an all day Symposium on African Greys, just wanted to pass along one of the speakers thoughts. This gentleman works at a bird santuary in Africa and has been with Greys both wild and tame for over 25 years.

"We are our parrot's guardians, as well as their friends, and as such, we provide them with safety and security. We supply an excellent diet in order to meet their complex nutritional needs and maintain them on a high health plane. We furnish the emotional love and support tempered with gentle disciplane they need to meet their potential as excellent companions. We furnish the enrichment they require to home their itelligence and keep them free from bordom.

It is no easy or light task to befriend a parrot. It is a responsibility. It is also a joy. I can think of few greater satifactions than to see a creature of light and air, an individual so different from us yet like us in so many ways, thrive and prosper under our care and devotion to its well-being. When a parrot relaxes on its perch at bedtime, contentedly grinding it beak; when it shakes out its feathers and leans its head trustingly on our chest; when it wags its tail upon seeing our approach; when it confidently preens as it sits quietly on our arm - we know our parrots are happy and at peace with themselves and their world.

It is paradoxical but true that only within discipline - both ours and our bird's - can there be true freedom. In that liberty lies the way truly to enjoy the pleasure of their company."

When this gentleman finished there was not a dry eye in the room.

Just thought I would pass this along

Carolyn & Mika

Thats wonderful and so true it is such a fulfillment and joy to see the birds happy and content as pets its very important to keep them this way because they are wild animal if we are going to keep them in captivity its importent to keep them happy so they don't miss being in the wild so much

I wish there was I checked but they handed out a copy of all presentations to those who were present. This was put on at The university of Guelph (Guelph Ontario Canada) it was just the most wonderful day I have spent.

From what I understand there will be another one in January, I will be there again would not mis it.

Carolyn & Mika