NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

On or off the shoulder

GuinnessGuy74

Hello everyone. My wife and I have a 4 month old Timneh Grey named Jake whom we just brought home on friday. We are just looking for a little advice.

Jake is very tame and very sweet. However all he wants to do is climb onto our shoulders. His breeder has no problems with letting him on his shoulders, but I have read that a parrot that sits on a shoulder can quickly become a dominant one.

He is a very tame and sweet bird, so we are not afraid of him chomping on our ears. We just dont want him to BECOME a dominant bird because he is allowed on our shoulders.

He isn't all too difficult to remove once on our shoulder. He will come off with a step-up command about 60% of the time on first try, after that it has to be a more forced step-up. He doesn't usually climb to the the middle of the back so we can reach him. He is OK with his step-ups but then again we have only had him for 2 days so we are not sure what he will be like after he settles in.

I am not sure if we are making a mountain out of a mole hill or not, but we just want to make sure we start off on the right foot!

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Jim & Sarah

This is a question that is asked time & time again.It really is a matter of choice that only you can decide.some members do allow their greys to ride around on their shoulder others prefer not to.If you are going to allow this then it's paramount that your grey understands the "the step up " command so he responds whne you want to remove him.If you dont want to allow this then now while Jake is a baby is the time to stop it,simply tell him a firm "no" & ask him to step up,if he is running up your arm then block him with the other hand.Please remember as cute & tame as they are there is always the risk of injury to the face when a parrot is on your shoulder .

Tracy gives very good advice! I personally allow both my greys on my shoulder. Sometimes one on each shoulder at the same time. But it is very important they step up when asked, if mine get stubborn (and they do) I lean over to the back of the couch and tell them to step down, which they know means "Get Off!!" Which sometimes I have to do when they start deciding to get feisty and try and nip. :S

Now that would make a good picture Penny both on your shoulders, get Melissa to have the camera to hand ;)

I do allow my macaw on my shoulder :ohmy: but I'm confident in my own abilities in the way i handle her,this also has a bearing on allowing your grey on your shoulder,a confident handler should be in command of the situation,a less confident handler could end up being dominated by the grey ;)

I allow my birds on my shoulder but then I also feel confident that I can hadle the situation I don't allow Tyco on my shoulder yet I haven't had her long enough to know what she will do and I don't know if I can trust her up there yet But all my other birds including My Amazon which is a very big bird but she's gentle and I trust her so you must decide if you can trust your bird enough to allow them to be on your shoulder.

I think it is really down to personal choice too, and of course the individual bird. I have one I allow on my shoulder and one I don't. My younger bird isnt bonded to me and I wouldnt trust him to not bite me or to step up from my shoulder. I'm not worried about a dominance thing really, just that my ears and eyes etc would be intact :laugh:

BTW I love your username.... but I can't stand Guinness;) Have you any ties to Ireland? Or are you just fond of Guinness?

Siobhan,

Alas, I am only 1/4 Irish. But my wife is 1/2 (maiden name is McLoughlin). And yes, I am very fond of Guinness...

Thanks for the input everyone. It definitely seems to be a personal choice. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't encouraging the bird to become dominant by allowing him to perch eye to eye with me. I know the key is consistency, so I have to choose one or the other so I dont send him mixed signals.

Thanks again. It is very comforting knowing that help is here when we need it....

Jim & Sarah

• 4 weeks later...

You can do both on/off... with a few exceptions being amazons and cockatoos (and probably macaws just due to size factor) because of unpredicatability etc. the important thing is, you first have to get him to be totally reliable with the step-ups and build trust between both of you (if you're worried about him biting, you might tense up and he'll pick up on that, becoming nervous in turn) and keep in mind that your shoulder is a very wide and slippery perch so it could make him fall, or nervous and he might bite down to steady himself. in terms of controlling dominance, you do not really have to ban the bird from your shoulder, just control the situation. don't let him scramble up on his own, ever, he must respect your body and space as you respect his. however, if you want him up there or he wants to go, tell him up, get him on your hand and then tell him 'off' and place him there. he'll learn you give him permission to go there, and if he ever refuses to step up from up there, temporarily disallow it. if he starts becoming unpredictable through his 'terrible two's' stage or once sexually mature, just don't let him up there, but greys are known to be pretty mellow.

• 5 weeks later...