NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Molting times?

pmaholm

Guest Skuffy

Molting birds shed their old feathers, which may have become ragged and are no longer useful for flight or insulation, to make way for new ones to grow. This can occur as often as once or twice a year, and the molt can last as long as several weeks or even months as new feathers gradually emerge. Molting is a stressful time for your bird because the newly growing feathers can be uncomfortable or tender. The following tips can help you make this difficult time easier for your grey.

Max has been molting now for 4wks..

Guest Skuffy

* Mist him regularly: A frequent misting with warm water helps to soften the pinfeathers that have begun to emerge and that are causing your grey discomfort. Mist him only in temperate weather and when there’s adequate time for him to dry before evening.

* Adjust his diet: Offer your grey an extra-nutritious diet when he’s molting, including an additional protein source such as hard-boiled eggs, boiled chicken, or beans.

* Respect his wishes: You shouldn’t notice any difference in the way your African grey behaves, eats, plays, or responds to you during a molt, but there is a possibility that he might behave differently when new feathers are emerging. He may not want to be touched as often and even may be reluctant to leave the cage. If your grey wants to be left alone while he’s molting, allow him his space.

* Observe him carefully: If you notice bald patches on your grey’s body or his feathers become so thin you can see the skin beneath them, take him to the vet right away—there may be a serious problem. Also, pinfeathers and new feathers that have just emerged will bleed if injured or broken, and this often happens with wing feathers, especially with a clipped bird. If you notice a bleeding feather, don’t panic—pull the feather straight out from the root with one quick motion, and the bleeding will stop immediately.

:cheer:

I don't remember how old Joey is now. If he is between 16 and 20 weeks old, he will probably not start a molt until January or so. The first molt will be the most complete. You'll know when you see the down feathers coming out like rain when it begins. Remember to mist your bottom tray before removing and it will stop them from covering your house as you walk to dump it outside.

Refund, since he is older, has probably been going through a molt already. They do not molt out nearly as much as the first. Feathers do get replaced if they are damaged also, throughout the year as need be.

Misting with Aloe Juice to thoroughly soak them will relieve the scratchiness and keep the skin nice and supple. Do this atleast 2x a week on both your Greys. :-)

Thanks for the info! Some extra info on Joey too, she's probably 18-21 years old, We've been misting them with aloe juice and water mix at least twice a week. sometimes more because I don't think I'm soaking them enough, I cant seem to get their wing feathers and back feathers to absorb any water it just sheets off. :)

Oh wow, I didn't realize he was that old.

I usually soak Dayo down good with a showering of water until all his feathers including wing, tail under belly are no longer resisting the water.

I then soak him all over with 100% Aloe Juice, no water mixed in. To get in between the wind and side, you can set the spray bottle to shot a thin stream and shoot it in between the little gap in the front on each side.