NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Good toy ideas for congos?

Moddy

I need some good toy ideas for my congo. Something they usually go wild for! He is very picky and he doesn't like the color white. He was like this when he came. The only thing he will play with (in his cage) currently is a bell he swings from. He usually doesn't bother with any other bird toys. He does love what he can't have though. Outside of the cage. Computer speakers, phone, phone charger, cords!!!!!!!!!!!! Remotes!!! He goes bonkers for thoes. We had given him an old remote afraid he would get acustomed to it and chase down every other remote we had.. But he did that anyways so no harm. And currently he's having a blast with my old cell phone. He also goes after cords. .. Trys to be sneaky but after he bit through my last mouse cord to where it didn't work i've been making sure he doesn't even go around my keyboard or mouse. So what should I try to give him?

He also likes chewing on my wallet, pens (When I write he trys to go for them) Pen caps and likes trying to eat my keys.

Guest Monique

I think all birds have their own preferences. But my grey's favorite toy was an upside down cone that had some rope that hung inside it and the bird could sort of "shred" the rope into smaller threads.

AND - things with little pieces of rawhide or other items that stuck out like a bad hairdo.

AND - millet. Though I know that wasn't really a toy we just gave it to him sometimes because it would be gone SO soon ... but only for a few minutes.

Some toys like a bell or swing he would get mad at sometimes and we would have to take them away from him!!! LOL.

I saw another web site the other day where someone gives their parrots (several different breeds) boxes inside their cage to play with (play inside and also chew) and they seem to love it. I just saw this idea and I haven't tried it before (but I will in the future when I get a new box!)

A box I will try that soon lol. I'm thinking of finding some things and making him some toys. Testing the supplys first incase I put in alot of effort and he doesn't play with it because he has a tendancy of doing things like that. But it's better then spending 50 dollars at the pet store for something that breaks before we get home or that he completely ignores.

Guest Monique

Be careful of making anything homemade w/metal unless you know what kind of metal it is. I know that zinc is not safe for birds. I don't know about other metals. (I know stainless steel is okay, though....) If you search on the Internet you can find a bunch of good ideas, too. Crumped up newspapers at the bottom of the cage, tie bits of leather on the bars for him or her to untie. Give him empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls. Pieces of wood (non-treated no pesticides) to shred. Lots of cheap ideas - the birds don't care how much it cost! :)

Lol the can is simplar to what my parrot does around christmas when we get these well i'm not sure what there called but he likes to open them everytime there closed the thing is it's almost effortless for him >.<; And I don't want to sit there and keep closing it.. Lol.

Hi,

One of my friend said to try dogs' rawhide chews - they're alot cheaper than the ones for parrots. My CAG loves the little ones that look like bones - they're great foot toys, and you can tie them to the inside of the cage with bits of cotton string - and if he doesn't like them, it'll only cost you about £1!

Julia

• 3 months later...

I have tons of ideas for toys, I have invested about 500.00 in toy making accessories, and I have as much fun making them, as my babies do destroying them. Go to your local dollar stores, that's where I get my best stuff. Spanky loves to chew straws, especially the accordian type. His favorite toys I make, are... I take a piece of hemp rope, cut the straws to about 2" poke a hole in them, and string them with wood beeds, plastic perler beads, party favour boats etc. anything with different textures. For paper/foraging things, I use cupcake paper for different colours, and put nuts etc. inside them. Tie it to the rope, or use as foot toys. I also use coloured popcicle sticks with a drilled hole in middle, wall plugs for hanging pictures in drywall, lollipop sticks, veggie taned leather, munch balls, innerstar rings, loofah chunks I cut to 1" thick and colour with food colouring, kids plastic army men, small vine wreaths,(make sure they are not varnished, and not tied with wire!). I willtake some pictures of this stuff, and put them on my page, or the photo area.

To get some ideas, search bird toys on the internet, and build your own.

For chain, I use dog collars and leashes found at the dollar store... they are nickle plated and very cheap. You can also buy cotton rope with usually a tennis ball on them for dogs, cut the ball off and use the rope...$1.00. Hope this helps.

Connie

http://www.greyforums.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,27/func,view/catid,5/id,23317/<br><br>Post edited by: Connie, at: 2007/07/31 12:35

Monique wrote:

Give him empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls.

Monique, I was reading a free booklet by Harrison's on bird health I picked up at a sidewalk sale today and the booklet mentioned zinc inside paper towel rolls... :blink: Has anyone else heard this?

Also, if your bird likes to steal pencils and pens from you, I suggest getting wooden tinker toys. Get him interested in it by pretending it's a pencil he can't have. My bird has a blast destroying them, and I have fun putting together different shapes for him to take apart. =P<br><br>Post edited by: Tricky, at: 2007/07/27 02:17

Talon wrote:

Great ideas Connie. Thanks for the suggestions! I, too would love to see some photo's of the different toys you've made. Perhaps it will spark the creative side in all of us!:silly:

Here ya go guys, some of the things I use to make toys, I will assemble some of them and post in the future!

http://www.greyforums.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,27/func,view/catid,5/id,23317/

Hey there fellow Salemite LOL Puzzles are a good thing, I wouldn't use a popcan though. One thing you can go that is super super easy is you can get those small paper dixie cups fill them like a pinata, and then twist the top and tie them with a piece of sisal or leather. Another good one would be doing the same thing with a coffee filter, fill it full of treats, twist and tie! Hopefully your Grey will like that!

• 8 months later...
Guest Skuffy

My Mrs gets Pasta tubes,,,4 Diff food colours...Dyes the pasta then threads it on string for Max,,,I also buy 3 by 2 wood cut to blocks,,drill hole down middle thread on chain...cut wood to Diff thickness tho..Max will spend Hrs chewing it up..In fact..I need to make him some today...Brush handles work aswellchop small round sticks with hole in them,,,hide a Nut,,when hes chew it up,,,he gets the Nut...

Guest Skuffy

Skuffy wrote:

My Mrs gets Pasta tubes,,,4 Diff food colours...Dyes the pasta then threads it on string for Max,,,I also buy 3 by 2 wood cut to blocks,,drill hole down middle thread on chain...cut wood to Diff thickness tho..Max will spend Hrs chewing it up..In fact..I need to make him some today...Brush handles work aswellchop small round sticks with hole in them,,,hide a Nut,,when hes chew it up,,,he gets the Nut...