NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Stress Management! Plucking and Pooping...

mas

Hey guys,

Well, once again I'm posting about bleeding feather issues - everyone must be fed up of hearing about it!

Anyway, Zahzu had a feather that wasn't growing properly on the tip of her left wing - and she plucked it off and it started bleeding. She gets super stressed out (and so do I sometimes!!) going to the vet - so at our last vet visit, the vet told me I can do it myself next time...

So, called the vet (it was about 8pm here); he told me to go for it and told me how - and my husband and I did it!!

I toweled her - when she was covered she said "cuckoo??", and then handed her to hubby while I got to her wing, and used a tweezer to remove the bleeding feather, and applied pressure and packed it with a bit of flour - she didn't scream throughout the whole process, and she's back to her usual self now.

We looked at videos and I've been reading up a lot on how to remove a blood feather that is damaged online.

Hubby and I were both very nervous and apprehensive about doing this at home, but in our situation felt it would be best for Zahzu, due to the stress caused by vet visits.

The feather slid out so easily, I was very surprised. My nerves are still shot, but I guess we have to sacrifice our own comfort for the sake of our fid's sometimes!

I know it is totally not recommended for us to remove the feather ourselves, but we really did seriously weigh up the pros/cons of doing it at home vs. a trip to the vet.

Also, on another note - happier one for sure - Zahzu is toilet trained!! She poops on the command of 'excuse me' - so no more messed up clothes (unless whatever on tv is too interesting to be watching for her 'sitting down poop dance'!)

-Sameera

A good tool for removing feathers like that is a hemostat. You clamp it onto the feather and it locks in place, allowing you to concentrate on pulling the feather out straight and not at an angle. When doing so, always grasp the feather with the hemostats perpendicular to the feathers length (at 90 degrees with the feather) then pull the feather out smoothly and perfectly straight.

I keep two first aid kits on hand just for this sort of situation. It has hemostats, along with a syringe full of styptic powder to stop the bleeding. Other items in the container are bandages and vet wrap for wing and leg splints, hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, stainless scissors, and cotton balls.

Best of all, the Sterilite container for the kit itself can serve as an emergency travel cage for the trip to the vet.

Thats great Sameera that you were able to remove the blood feather yourself and save the stress of another visit to the vet. That was very smart of you to research on how to do it properly so congrats on a job well done.

Congrats on another job well done-potty training, you are on a roll aren't you;) :)

Great job on removing the feather on your own. It sounds like Zahzu took it well. Many times when you do something quick yourself the bird won't really get a chance to get as stressed as it would if it was packed up and driven to the vet, sat in the waiting room, taken into an exam room...you get the gist.

I like to use needle nose pliars to pull blood feathers. I'm able to get a better grip and can get it in one shot. You can also do it by hand if needed. Just grab near the base and pull.

Thanks guys - I think I really should put together a first aid kit. With styptic powder; are there any particular types safe for birds? I'm assuming some would be toxic if ingested...

Zahzu is fine today also - was worried she'd hate me and my husband after what we did to her, but no worries at all! :)

-Sameera

Great job Sameera!!!

It sounds like Zahzu took it in stride and especially preferred surroundings and people he loves to be handling and taking care of the issue themselves.

You do not need to use styptic powder in most cases. Flour or corn starch works just fine. Styptic powder is highly toxic to them and if you do use it, do so very sparingly and do not try to force any into the feather socket by packing it in. If it actually circulated into the blood stream, it could mean certain death for your bird.

It is good to hear things are atleast settling down for the most part and Kahzu is becoming a happier camper. :-)

I use styptic powder on toenails never on feathers flour or cornstarch for feather is best they preen and all stypticis toxic and it hurt them to use it on their feathers flour and corn starch doesn't have the hurting part and does the same thing. I also like to use needle nose plyers for blood feathers they have a good grip makes for easy pulling. I've never had to do a big bird but have had lots of love birds with broken blood feather's You and your husband did a great thing for your bird mabie now she can settle down and won't have to go to the vet everyday I'm sure the stress was making thing allot worse and good job on the potty training.