NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Odie- fell and has a small cut on his head

ErinAndOdie

Hello -

My bird Odie had his wings clipped about two years ago. Since then he seems to chew or pull out his flight feathers when they come in. I wanted him to actually let them grow back so he can be flighted.

He has a tendency of falling and sometimes trying to fly but hitting the wall, because his lack of flight feathers.

Today he hit the window seal and has a small cut on his head. It is not bleeding (as in gushing blood), but his skin/feathers are no longer there and you can see a little red. (picture attached)

Is there anything I can do, so it does not get infected or to make sure it does not hurt him. He seems fine, because he is talking up a breeze. lol But thats my baby and I am just concerned.

Also- any suggestions, on stopping him from messing with his flight feathers? The last time I was at the vet, he pulled some of the broken ones out so they can grow back but Odie kept messing with them when they grew in and they are gone.

Any suggestions would be wonderful! photo.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: ErinAndOdie, at: 2008/08/07 20:23

photo.jpg

Hi I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for Tyco when I got her she was very off balance due to chewing and barbering her left wing flights. I was so worried because she would fall really hard on her keel bone and I thought she might break it open so I tok her to the vet and had her wings clipped again so that they matched each other and she has stopped chewing them and has let bothof her wings grow. you could try this it may work for you also. make sure you take her to a good avian vet that knows what they're doing Tyco has a little problem with breaking the odd flight feather as they are growing in so far no blood feather though its just because the feathers have no support but at least she has stopped chewing. Tyco chewed her feathers fo four years so since this has worked for me it may work for you.

Hi,

My grey fell off her perch and hit her head also but hers was more of a small gash instead of a cut. I cleaned the wound with some saline solution and it healed up fine within a week. The aloe also sounds good but saline was all i had at the time. I would also file odie's nails so they are not sharp just incase she/he wants a scratch the area.

Hope this helps!

Nims