NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Joey on live webcam!

pmaholm

Hi all, I set up a cheap webcam I had so I could check on Joey from work. I figured I'd share it with everyone.

I've set up a special DNS Name for her it's listed below.

http://birdcam.maholm.net:8080/

The cam isn't very good quality and I don't have any sound set up. I might disable this in the evenings depending on how much bandwidth it takes.

Also I've got the cam auto updating a website of mine.

if you're more into the static cam it refreshes every 5 seconds with a new picture it's located at.

http://www.williamchase.info

-Patrick<br><br>Post edited by: pmaholm, at: 2008/08/06 22:38

I know, I really want to get a better webcam so I can watch her more, I may have to set up a light on a timer in there so I can see during the day! I'd really like to get sound set up so I can hear if she talks or makes other noises while we're away at work all day. :)

-Patrick

I have to admit, I did the same so I could watch mine from work too. What I wound up doing was creating them their own Skype account and setting Skype to automatically answer my calls with video. Now, not only can I see them, but hear them. I have a nice safari sound coming from my office. :) They could also see and hear me if I so desired, but I figured that was a bit too much!

The camera I'm using is a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 and the picture is quite good for a webcam.

Thanks all for checking out Joey! Kaedyn, I'll have to keep that in mind! The webcam software supports sound I just don't have any microphones set up. Joey seems pretty quiet though.

Lotty, if you want to get back to the webcam on another computer you can just come back to the forums and find this post or head to www.williamchase.info

FYI I have a feeling I will be hitting my bandwidth limit on the williamchase.info website in a few days :blink:

Hi again Lotty, that address may work on your home network, however to get the webcam setup to broadcast to the internet a few other things have to be done. You need to have your firewall or broadband router "open" up the connection to your computer on the inside of your home network from the outside. If you want it to have an actual web address and not just the IP address, that's where we start getting into more advanced stuff. There's plenty of articles and suggestions online try Googling "how do I stream my webcam?" :)

-Patrick

Ok everyone, update, at Walmart last night we found a much nicer webcam at a pretty cheap price(actually it was a pack of 2 of them), it has a much much better quality than the other cam you can actually tell Joey from the cage now! :woohoo: It also works better in the low light.

Also the cam will only be online from 7:30am until 5:30pm EDT, I may turn it on manually every once in awhile. Plus we're thinking about adding the second cam to watch Refund.

Lastly I'm still working on getting a sound feed. I'm really interested in seeing what kinds of noises she makes while we're away. :)

-Patrick

I just had a peek at Joey, she is just sitting and looking around. It appears to be a little windy because the blinds were moving in and out a little. Thats really cool to be able to check in on her like that. Now I feel like a spy or something...

pmaholm... nice job! I too wanted to check on things at home while I'm out. I opted for an IP camera which is a little more costly but had the options I required. The camera is down right now since I'm re-arranging things but I should have it up in the next day or two.

CDELATORRE Bird Bunch Web Cam

http://www.cdelatorre.com/bird_video.php

Lottyxx... I have also put up a webcam so I can check in on my FIDs throughout the day. I am an IT professional and worked through some of the kinks and requirements - uptime available that is configurable to guest users but 24/7 access to administrators, ability to control pan and tilt remotely, zoom capabilities and night vision, direct streaming from the IP camera to the internet cutting out reliance on a dedicated PC.

You can see an article I posted on my research and hard work on my blog.

http://cdelatorre.blogspot.com/2008/05/stream-video-from-ip-camera-smcwipcam-g.html

If you are considering an IP camera as opposed to a tradition webcam you can contact me.

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/15 01:22

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/15 01:24

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/15 17:48

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/16 20:32

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/16 20:33

Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/19 00:06<br><br>Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/08/19 00:07