NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing a new baby.

Amber

On Friday evening, I'm going to pick up my new 12 week old yellow sided green cheeked conure and I'm really excited! How do I make sure Tuki (our CAG) doesn't feel left out? Should I set the new baby's cage up now, so Tuki gets used to the empty cage first? Even though Tuki likes my partner more than me, and rarely chooses to come to me, I still don't want her to feel left out. I've always been the only one home all day most days, and I always talk to Tuki, and we enjoy grapes together. I wish I could handle her more, but all she'll let me do is get her on my hand if she's stuck somewhere and wants help back to her cage! I'm hoping to spend lots of time with the new baby, and have him/her out a lot with me as I'm home most days of the week. I'd also like to get a harness for the baby to get it used to one early on so I can take it out with me. Does anyone have any tips, or know of any good harnesses? Many thanks. :)

Setting up the Cage and any new items like toys etc. you are going to put near your Grey is a good idea. It will certainly lower the shock in steps, rather than all at once.

Since your grey prefers your hubby anyway. Your spending time with the new Conure will not really be observed as much a threat. As it would be if your hubby started paying too much attention to it.

You will need to make sure you keep the conure away from your Grey and let them get used to each other at a distance. The Conure by nature is a very social bird across several species. The Grey is not and only flock together. You will need to be very cautious with any close interaction between the two. Your Grey could kill the conure or take off a leg in the blink of an eye.

A conure is a VERY small Parrot and you will be hard pressed to find a harness he could wear. You will really need to research that online and see if the aviator or feather teather harnesses for example go down that small.

Thanks for your help. I like the look of the aviator harness best, the feather teather looks harder to put on. They do a petite one too, but the place I get all my parrot things from haven't got any at the moment, they are out of stock. I was looking at the flight line as well, it's expensive! Think I'll think about that one later on! :P