NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG Grey v's another parrot's HELP

magicalem

Congratulations on geeting a Quaker. :-)

I doubt you will be successful in having the two share the same cage. I would be very cautious. The Grey can easily kill the quaker of mame it severely.

This will just be a slow process in introducing the two and you will need to be very observant and in close proximity any time you have them out together.

Looking forward to hearing more once you get your Quaker home.

I have to agree with BMustee. If your going to take on another bird then it should be for life. Not all birds talk. Even ones known for talking. The breeder that I got Alex from had a 7 year old female grey that was just a pet. She said that her grey made lots of sounds but never talked. What are you going to do whith the grey you have now if he never talks? While Alex is still young and may yet still talk I will not love him any less if he never says a word. I took in Martini about 3 weeks ago. I didn't get him for Alex I got him for me. Martini loves my daughter best and that is fine. He is quit social and will spend time with all of us. His old mom said that he does say a few things, but other than kissy noises and his normal chirping he hasn't said a word. I don't care if Martini never says another thing. He is the sweetest little bird and we are his forever home. Alex and Martini will chat back and forth. But that doesn't make Martini Alex's best bud. Alex has tried to attack Martini a few times. And he want's to take over Martini's play area. He ends up in timeout everytime we catch him on Martini's cage. I wonder what are you going to do with your grey if he never talks? Talking is a bonus...

You have to be prepared that the birds may not like each other at all and you will have to do seperate time out for both birds! Do you have time to do this? Also they would have to be in seperate cages.

I have two greys and it has taken a while for them to get used to each other, I would never even consider caging them together.They like hanging out together but are very territorial about there own space and enjoy going back to there own cage.

They also need to be supervised at all times when they are out together.

I am not trying to sound negative but the workload is increased for two birds and it may not be the perfect match!;)

A little parrot that is a decent talker is a Quaker. You would need to check your state and see if they are legal there.

But you may want to really think about this, two birds is more of a time demand on you than just one.

If when you get home you do have time for two birds, have you thought of maybe tying to find a rescue Grey? You may need to be picky, some rescue greys need a LOT of work, some are great birds that just lost their home for some reason.