NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gandalf Playstand under development

n2fisher

Well, I posted elsewhere that I just had a learning experience. I've built two playstands with 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings, or what I assumed were such.

In the conversations with Mika's parent and Broomer, we've researched various sites to come up with inexpensive fittings.

Well, the slip-T fittings came in today. They were much too large; my 3/4" pipe went into it with lots of slack. The inside diameter appeared to be an inch. The outside diameter of the pipe is 3/4 of an inch.

I called the company, explained the situation, and they very nicely said they would ship another set of 30 Slip-T fittings out; they shipped today.

Next, I headed to Lowe's tonight to pick up the pipe and misc fittings that I would need. Imagine my surprise when I walked into the plumbing aisle and found PVC pipe labelled 3/4" that was actually 1" in outside diameter -- it turns out that standard PVC, the diameter refers to INSIDE diameter, not outside. The inside is 3/4", the outside is about an inch.

My pipe at home is labelled 3/4" as well, but it is CPVC, and the 3/4" refers to outside diameter, NOT inside diameter.

Well, after stumbling around considering options for a while (realizing that my web-order slip-T fittings re-shipped today is also going to be the 1" diameter ..), I went ahead and purchased some extra fittings and pipe for 3/4" PVC (1" outside diameter). Turns out the fittings are MUCH cheaper than CPVC fittings; I paid $2.50 for 10 90 degree fittings, as well as T fittings. $15 got me out of there with two 10-foot pipes and several handfuls of fittings.

Came home .. looked at Mika's playstand again, and started cutting pipe.

CONCERN: Gandalf didn't appear to like the thickness of the pipe initially. It's very hard for him to get his beak around the pipe, so moving from level to level may be difficult.

After considering dimensions for a while and experimenting a bit, I cut four 35" vertical pipes, 2 12" and two 14" cross bars. Ooops, bad planning. I'm out of pipe now. Guess I'll head back tomorrow to pick up some more.

Anyway, I put them together, wrapped a bit of vetrap around it to keep the Slip-T's from slipping down the pipe, and tried it out.

Gandalf wasn't VERY pleased with it, but he seemed happy. It was a bit wobbly; will be better when I put screws in for the SlipT's and get more crossbars cut and installed. He DID like the amount of moving around he could do (all my previous stands were two vertical pieces and one horizontal). He DID like the different levels, but had to be coaxed to move between them. I had to cut down the size greatly; there's no way he could reach 4" up and 6" across to move from one bar to the next with the bars so thick. You can hopefully see from the pic that my top cross-bar is moved almost all the way to one side. I will have to cut the 12" side down greatly.

Here's one pic: IMG_1051_500x.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/08/06 08:47

IMG_1051_500x.jpg

Later: I measured everything quickly when the pipe came in, I was so frustrated. In answer to questions from broomer I just measured it more carefully. The pipe that is labelled 3/4 CPVC is actually about 7/8 OD and a hair under 3/4 ID (about 5/8")

The new pipe that I just purchased from Lowe's (labelled 3/4" PVC) is actually about 1/16th over 1" OD, and is about 1/32nd over 3/4" ID.<br><br>Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/08/06 09:07

Update: Haven't gotten to the store for more pipe yet, but Gandalf has gotten MUCH more comfortable with the stand as it's currently designed. I just had him in the kitchen with me while I made tomato soup for the nephew and ate lunch; Gandalf moved all around the playstand and seemed to love it. I gave Gandalf a nut and he sat there eating while we were enjoying our soup .. he loves eating when I'm eating. I'm headed out today to get two more pieces of pipe .. it's a bit of a trip to get up to the store; with the price of gas I try not to go that far unless I have more than one thing to purchase.