NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ONION, GARLIC, HERBS AND SPICES

kittykittykitty

Hi,

Hmmmmmmmmm good question! I also have tried looking for herbs and spices suitable for greys. My pet shop sells really good parrot treats made from organic ingredients one had fenugreek in it! My avian vet told me that onion and garlic are a no no so I suggest you keep away from those. They seem to love hot chillies (they like the sensation)try giving them fresh chillies or in the dried/crushed form. I wouldnt suggest chilli powder other things may have been added to make the powder that may not be suitable.

Hope this helps

Nims

Onion and Garlic are not as good because they contain Hemolytic compounds which destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia. I would however think that the occasional garlic and or onion in small amounts wouldn't be enough to throw your bird into full blown anemia.

I have used Paprika to season some things for the birds, I have also given them cinnamon sticks before so I'm assuming you could use some ground cinnamon also.

Chili Peppers or Habanero Peppers i've been told are good too, birds do not have the same reaction to the capsaicin in the peppers as we do and they're supposed to love the taste. Don't worry your bird won't burn their little beak off. :)

Anyone else have any ideas?

-Patrick