NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Increasing Vocabulary??

EinsteinsM0M

Hi, I have been lurking for quite awhile, and I now need some help from the experts. My CAG, Einstein, is 14 months old and his entire vocabulary consists of 2 words- Hello and Mama (which he learned from my 3 kids this summer while they were home from school!) He started saying Hello at about 10 months, but I feel that we are now at a standstill. How can I encourage him to learn more vocabulary? He gets tons of attention and is a very intelligent bird. He learned tricks such as waving, turn around and fluffing his feathers on command so easily! What am I doing wrong with the speaking? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm not expert, but maybe I can add my two cents: it's my understanding that AG's vary in their vocalizations and it's often really related to their particular personality. The way I understood that - just like with people - some AG's are just more quiet then others!

Some have a more extroverted personality than others.

But I don't think that means the more quieter ones can't learn more words - in fact, my bets are he knows quiet a few more words, he just has decided not to say them or he sees no reason to say anything.

Maybe you can give him a reason to say something by working with some of his favorite treats or drink. My CAG, Bella, loves fruit juices. When I would pour some juice she'd scramble down off her perch and hop on to her cage door and lean forward really far and say PEAK-A-BOO really loud. I'd ask her "do you want drink?" and I'd say it a couple of times. I'd then let her drink and say "good drink!". Now when I pour juice she still scrambles down off her perch and hops on to her cage door and leans forward as far as she can, but she says "DRINK!" well, she's only 15 months old, so it comes out "DINK" - she's having issues with "r's" :laugh:

Then we played a name game and for this I used walnuts as the reward as she'll do sumersaults for walnuts! I would point to my conure and say "Jiggy", I'd point to my female greyhound and say "Dream", and then to my male greyhound and say "Doc" and then I would point to Bella and say "Bella". Bella was really hyper observant! She focused on everything I was doing - in particular the walnuts she knew I had in my hand behind my back. And we'd go around and around. Took a while - many days and then one day my female greyhound came into the living room and Bella said 'DEEEM!!" I was delighted! So of course she got walnuts and she knows everyone's name :)

So - food goes a long way with Bella :laugh: What treats does yours like?

Cheers!

Terri

The best way to get him to talk is talking to him. and theres never a guarantee that any bird will talk even a AG buthe is young still and many people say the same thing. Theres days when Zuri my TAG wont say much and others hes a chatterbox its their mood. Be patient he obviously knows how maybe hes just working the kinks out.

Depending on what vocalizations you want, the model/rival approach might be of some help. You wouldn't really use it for teaching cute phrases, but it can work well for identifying foods, colors, etc. This is the technique that Irine Pepperburg of the Alex Foundation uses in teaching her birds to communicate.

All you need is a few toys or some food, a human assistant, and one bird. Your bird should be perched about shoulder height with the three of you sitting forming a triangle.

Start by turning toward your assistant, showing them the object of interest, and asking the question, "What is this?" Assuming the object in this case is an apple, your assistant should reply "Apple". At that point, give your assistant the piece of apple--which they'll take and play up their excitement while enjoying every bite. Do this a few more times, all while your bird watches. Every now and then, have your assistant answer incorrectly. In those cases, speak a gentle "No" and briefly turn away from your assistant.

As your bird's interest grows, turn toward them and ask the same question, "What is this?" If they answer--possibly fairly unintelligibly--praise them and give them a piece of apple. Chances are, it'll take a while before they attempt to answer. If after asking a few times, you don't receive a reply, turn to the human rival and repeat the process all over again.

So that your bird understands that the noises you associate with a particular object aren't unique to yourself, you and your human rival should reverse roles every now and then.

Just remember that as long as your bird makes even the slightest attempt to vocalize, you'll want to make sure they receive the object and praise as a reward. Of course, always encourage them to improve their vocalizations. It does take quite some time to learn new phonemes.

So far, I've only worked this method with one bird, so I can't speak for how quickly you'll see results. In my case, it was lesson number two on the second day when he made his first vocalization attempt. It was closer to a grumble than speech, but it was fairly obvious what he was trying to say. Over time, his speech improved.

One thing to note on Grey's and what they CHOOSE to say.

They use all their Chirps, whistles, noises etc. for a purpose, to communicate or attract attention from the opposite sex when trying to attract a mate.

From the beginning, I have always associated my words with what I am doing or what I am offering Dayo.

For example, I always say "Make Coffee", while I am doing so. he has heard this hundreds of times and never says it. It is not something he desires and must find the activity mundane and non-important to him.

Every time I am preparing meals, veggies, fruits etc. or offering one type to him, I will say what it is. Grape, Apple, Broccoli, Peanut, Almond etc.

He only says his favorite choices..... Apple? Almond? Water (if he wants a drink). Example, I was cutting up watermelon and cantaloupe. He watched and as I was clearly done putting them in the bowl and offering them to him. He looked in and said "Apple??". So I went to the fridge, got an apple and sliced a little up. Guess what he devoured first before trying the melons? Apple!!

He also says activities that he wishes to do, when he wants to do them. Example - "Go outside??", "Step Up??" (While lifting his foot), "What are you doing??" as he watches us do some task....etc.

I think my point is made. Association, as pointed out in Dr. Pepperburgs studies is key to having them say what they want to say. It is either for the anticipated reward or something they want to communicate.

Example at night-night time as your covering the cage.... Goodnight, I love you........ Dayo says this often, only at that time.

So, give this a try, if you haven't already been doing so. Also, as other have said, some are not as vocal as others, some will only talk when they think they are alone, some are late bloomers and start spewing out words at 3 or 5 years etc. It just depends on the Grey.

They trully little people with wings. Tyco ask for what she wants. she's also a great alarm clock for my daughter when its scool time. every morning only monday to friday I might add at 7:30 am Tyco says Andraya time to get up for school come on get up its getting late. And whats really strange is the day summer holidays started she didn't say it the next school day it was like she knew. I'm looking forward to the first day of school to see if she knows that also. I swear my bird has esp sometimes.

Oy Dan - Dayo sounds like such a reasonable guy! Bella seems to jabber all day long about something or the other. I think sometimes she just likes to talk! :laugh: Whether she's sitting on the couch with me, or playing or observing - she jabbers about something. So, while I agree that they will verbalize a desire of sorts, I think some are just talkative and jabber for kicks and giggles! I know both Jiggy and Bella have songs that get them going - specifically Dance songs - they seem to like Morgan Page right now, they bob up and down, Bella starts singing her Tottie Tah, and I'll stop doing what I'm doing and dance with them too :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: Nychsa, at: 2008/08/05 20:08