NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Going Bye Bye

Tokisdad

I work for NASA, I have to go on remote deployment for 6 weeks or so. In the evenings when I get home Toki will spend most all evening sitting on my shoulder. We eat dinner together, we watch TV, and play the how many times will he hand it back if I drop it game and telling each other stories as she talks like a normal female, all the time, hehehe.

She is 15 months old and I have never left her that long before. She has lived in the same cage in the same spot all her life. There are plenty of people at home to take care of her, but I don't know how she will react with me gone so long.

I am considering taking her with me. Anyone here ever traveled with your bird like that? How did your bird react to new surroundings? How did your bird react to a smaller travel cage? In your experience would it be better for the bird to just be left home?

I RECENTLY TRAVELD WITH RICCO FOR OUR SUMMER HOLIDAY BY SHIP FOR 12 HOURS,HE TOOK IT OK AS I WAS MOST OF THE TIME WITH HIM. I KEPT HIS TRAVELLING CAGE COVERED SO HE WOULDNT GET FRIGHTEND BY STRANGE THINGS TO HIM.HE HAD PLENTY OF FOOD AND WATER.WHEN WE REACHED OUR DESTINATION HE WAS SEEING HIS SUMMER HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME,AT FIRST HE WAS QUIET BUT AFTER 2 DAYS HE WAS AS USUAL.I DONT HAVE ANY BODY BACK HOME SO I ALWAYS TAKE MY ANIMAL FRIENDS WITH ME.IF YOUR GREY IS VERY CLOSE TO YOU I SUGEST YOU TAKE HER WITH YOU OTHER WISE LEAVE HER AT HOME TO BE LOOKED AFTER.HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Thanks, there is one vote for take her with me. I do have one other question.

It will be a 12 to 15 hour drive split over two days. Has anyone taken their Grey on a road trip like that?

Did your Grey do ok with it?

Thanks, Bill....

We take Jacob and our three cats on holiday to the Highlands of Scotland for two weeks each year and travel up in the car overnight.

He copes fine with all this, as we put his cover over the cage (which is 23 ins high x 23 ins wide and 33 ins long) about half and hour or so into the journey and he sleeps through til we wake him in the morning for breakfast. He copes fine in his cage for the duration of our stay, and comes out in the car daytripping wth us. He gets to come out of his cage in the mornings and evenings and flies round the cottage or plays with his toys on the cage. All told, he's absolutely fine and is happy simply because he's with us.

If you have accommodation that allows Toki to come out I would have thought that she would cope with the smaller cage and settle in fine. It's making it a home from home I think.

Loofa wrote:

Thanks, there is one vote for take her with me. I do have one other question.

It will be a 12 to 15 hour drive split over two days. Has anyone taken their Grey on a road trip like that?

Did your Grey do ok with it?

Thanks, Bill....

Hi Bill,

I took Bella (and my conure, 2 greyhounds and a very unhappy New Yorker :laugh: ) from Maryland to Florida - 15 hour ride split over two days. Bella loved riding in the car. She was attentive the entire time, sitting in her travel cage, watching everything go by. She was as focused on the driving as a race car driver! :laugh: My unhappy New Yorker partner said it was too strange every time he looked in the mirror he saw Bella watching every move he made.

We stayed at a Resident's Inn Marriot which allowed us to have the animals. The babies did fine in the hotel - curious about everything. Then we were off again.

The impression I got from the birds was that they were perfectly happy as long as we were together. I did however prep them in their travel cages for a couple of weeks so they were familiar with those cages.

Cheers!

Terri

I'm guessing if you can accomodate your bird on this trip then it will probably be better you take it. But if you think it's going to stress because of moving around and/or your restriction of spending time with it you should reconsider. Good luck.B)

Thanks for the advise. I feel much better about Toki riding in the car. I will have plenty of time to spend with her, no problem there. I think we will have lots of fun. It's great to be able to call on the experience of other Grey owners.

Thanks again, Bill and Toki