NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird supply stores

zooman

Hey everyone;

I have always thought of opening my own pet store and specializing in birds. It became more clearer to me as many of you live in Canada and know what has happened but ill explain to those of you that live in the U.S.A.

There were these fantastic stores called Superpet and they had an amazing selection of birds and expansive area for their needs from A to Z. Until last year they were for many people around my area the only place to by supplies and the place where I bought both of my birds my TAG and my Alexandrine. The stores has wonderful staff who brought up these baby birds and weaned them perfectly. I was totally pleased on how they treated their birds and would be an example on how to do business. They were a full line store catering to every type of pet owner but my weakness was the bird section. Unfortunately Petsmart thought of the chain of stores as a threat and bought all of them and took away all of the birds minus budgies and tiels into 4 small cages and made their bird rooms a dog training centre. It was depressing and laid off or whatever all the amazing staff there used to be. Since then i have struggled to find a store that caters to bird since petsmarts area for birds is a disgrace, atleast in my area. I know U.S. is full of stores that cater to birds but there is only one store and the staff there are rude and treat their birds with little respect when i saw tiels babies in plastic rubbermaid bins stacked on top of each other I left without buying a thing and wont be back. I am left with making my own toys which worked out i suppose and buying whatever else through online shopping.

I hope to open up my own bird only store in the next couple years the wheels have begun and I have one question when the time would come would any of you complete a survey for me so i know what you all would want in a bird only store and where do you get the majority of your bird supplies?

I wish you the very best of luck in your new venture. I wouldn't be able to comment one way or another as there are no bird shops here. There are pet shops which sell small bird accessories, but anything you want for a big bird has to be bought on the internet from the UK :(

Probably just as well, because if I could go to a real shop I would probably buy everything I see ;)

I don't live in Canada but I buy most of my stuff online mainly because we don't have any bird specific stores here either. I hear about them from some of the other members and wish I had some to go to close by to actually see stuff before I buy but I do the next best thing.;)

I used to work at Superpet... In the Bird and Small Animal Department... Frankly, I'm happy to see them gone.

We raised birds fine and it was luck of the draw in terms of how well they were taken care of. Which will be a problem with any large chain store. I'd subbed in other locations and was completely appalled by their feeding, cleaning, and handling processes. Other locations were fine.

It went under because it was poorly run and the guy who owned it had an awkward fascination with cowboy boots (which I fully blame for his inadequacy as a CEO). The managers and departmental supervisors at each location in a large suburb of Toronto (there were 3 locations) had a love of smoking inside the store and around the animals after closing. And getting drunk in the office on holidays.

If you're looking for a fantastic bird only store, with full service locations and online shopping. You should check out Parrotdise Perch.

http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/

They used to only be in Calgary, but they now have a "toronto-ish" location in Mississauga. I live downtown Toronto and make an effort whenever I need anything for Edison to find a way out there (did I mention I'm carless?) This store puts Superpet to shame. Their selection is absolutely fantastic and the staff is wonderful. And a PLUS: They are fully Canadian :)

Im glad you found a amazing store for your needs i live in the Kitchener area and driving to mississauga at our gas prices is not an easy choice. I see a huge market in my area for this type of store. I bought mine at the Cambridge location and i visited my birds at different times and never saw what you explained and im sure every location was different. I dealt with a very nice lady named Rose she was older and so great with the birds. I have no qualms about that stores way they treated their pets. I dont think they went "under" ive read and talked to other employees and they were bought out from petsmart. If im ever out that way ill have to check out that store.

i totally agree with siobha9, here in the uk there are no bird shops and everything i have bought for monty has been of the internet. bacause of this owning an exclussivly exotic bird shop would be my dream too, but there's no way i can afford to set one up :( i wish you all the best in your new venture.

I share your frustration trying to buy large bird supplies in a Canadian store. The best thing that's sort of in my area is a PJ's in Pickering, and even their bird section is very limited because they have to cover all size and types of birds with 3 1/2 aisles. I've been thinking about driving out to the store in Mississauga that Sevi mentioned, but it would be about 1 hour and 1/2 one way and with the price of gas, is that really going to be cheaper than ordering from the internet and paying shipping? Opening a 'brick and mortar' store these days is a risky business, but if you could combine it with an internet business like they do . . . Is there a local bird club that could give you an idea of how many bird owners may live within an hour drive of your location?

Thank you so much Sevi for recommending that store in Mississauga, went there to-day was taken back by all the stock they have and the great customer service. Was able to get my Aviator Harness there cheaper than if I was to buy it in the States and have it shipped. Spend all of Mika's allowance for the next 6 months, but had fun doing it and he is enjoying all his new toys (so am I)

Thanks again

Carolyn;)

I'm so glad you went Carolyn :).

Zooman, I know Superpet was taken over(though I still find it funny they left the PJ's chain as Pj's). I was just passing comment on how poorly it was run. Unfortunately for the customer it was not always obvious. I think the Oakville location was one of the best managed, and when my location first opened it was run quite well, but in the company there were constant managerial changes and unfortunately it was the animals who suffered because of it. I was proud of the birds I raised, because I raised them well, but unfortunatly not everyone was caring enough. And I feel its important for people to understand how, as a large company, Superpet was run. And it was run very very poorly.

If you live in the Kitchener area have you visited Exotic Wings & Pet Things? I haven't been in about 5/6 maybe 7 years, since I'm never in the area, but I remember it having a comparable selectin to that of Superpet's selection. A lot of zoomax/jungle talk stuff.

Please don't think I'm discouraging you from starting a parrot-only business :S, I think it would be great. I think they should be everywhere.

I do still encourage you to check out parrotdise perch ;).

Im glad some of you have found this store that Sevi wrote about, and im sorry if i was sounding mean i just wanted everyone to know how not to be soo scared from buying from big chains and I would love to have a store like superpet did atleast the one that i frequented. I did see a glimpse of what you talked about at the other location in Kitchener when it was open truth be told when i had reserved Tiago my Alexandrine it was at that location he/she was very young and needed a lot of time to wean. So i began to visit and saw the water being filthy and the deal breaker was i saw my bird covered in food and her telling me he struggled to eat and he ended up wearing it and they left him looking filthy. The next day i went to the cambridge location and saw another alex and how it was night and day difference in their attitudes and asked if i could just transfer my purchase to one of theirs after deliberation they agreed and i made a very wise choice and soo happy with tiago hes amazing. So i know what you mean i just didnt want people to think badly of the company as a whole because the group at the cambridge location were so great and both my birds are so well socialized and healthy...As you mentioned exotic wings i didnt want to bring it up since they are trying to make a living as well but they have a terrible set-up that is the store i left without buying anything. I drove pretty far out too. I just couldnt like i said the tiels were in rubbermaid boxes stacked 10 high. I saw overpacker cages with birds that were almost bald from plucking, a oh soo cute senegal in rough shape common sense would tell me because on one side were the very noisy tiels and the other 2 huge macaws that were also in too small of cages but hovered over the senegal because the cages were soo much higer and i mean that has to effect his happiness. then the store had a bird hotel to leave your birds while on vacation but it was a hallway jammed with birds imagine the chances of passing disease like that no air flow, the rest of the store was dusty and very overcrowded. the prices were fair but at what cost? I asked to go see the nursery just to see the baby birds and i wasnt rude just asked since you cant see them from the door, the girl said "they look the same" when i mentioned that i had a grey and alex...but in a rude tone. dont you all like seeing babies? but im sorry for ranting it just opened my eyes to how different if i had the chance to do it how i wouldnt do it. I soo would love to see those parrots that they used to have at superpet knowing i still coulnt afford them like seeing hawk headed parrot what a sight or a beautiful macaw..i miss those weekend trips. Hopefully soon i can experience that everyday.