NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thinking about getting one =D

ZacH1

Hey, I'm new and I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these guys.

I've always been interested in birds in general, as a matter of fact I'm a registered falconer (I hunt using birds of prey (hawk-falcon-owl...etc.))

So I know I can most likely handle the time commitment.

So cutting to the chase, I'd like you guys to post what has been the most rewarding part about having one of these guys and also what (if any) kind of negative effects they may have had on your life (ex. stress, lifestyle changes, that kinda stuff)

Thanks

-Zach

Hi, I just got a 12 year old CAG and have already found it very rewarding. I've only had him 2 weeks and I am fascinated by him. We are still getting used to each other but it's going very well. Good things so far is he's very entertaining all by himself. I can hear him talking and doing his sound effects where ever I am in the house but he is not loud or disturbing. His "sounds" are comforting and never too loud. He is very willing to learn new things and not scared to try (I guess because he trusts me) The only bad thing I have to report is there are times I want to play with him or handle him and he isn't always in the mood. I have heard they are moody and have their own personalities and I am finding this to be true. I have heard they are very intuitive to your moods as well and if you are upset they are aware and try to make it better. He talks and learns new words and phrases and I find that very rewarding. It's like if you invest the time, they will invest it back so I like that. I wasn't sure when I got him what to expect and was hoping for the best. If I could go back 2 weeks I would make the same decision again. I may even get another one in the future. Hope that helps.

Good stuff:

When Klaus grinds his beak in contentment - I know I've done something right.

All the hilarious noises he makes - he really gets us laughing.

Watching him play like a good boy - it is very much like being a parent.

Discovering something he likes to eat is still rewarding, even after having him over a year.

Drawbacks:

It's a big commitment. I don't just go flitting around after work...I have a bird to get home to.

Klaus doesn't much like my son and my husband. And they are the ones who wanted him. I still hope this changes (as it is expected to) when Klaus gets to around 2 yrs of age.

It's a fair amount of work - making sure he's fed and his cage is clean and that he has access to toys and activities that change often enough that he doesn't get bored.