NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Name changes / Love at first bite.

Astro

Hello everyone! I'm a first time CAG owner, long time pet owner. Let me give a quick back story on my new avian friend, Victoria: She belonged to my g/f's grandmother, and I have visited her several times in the past. We always got along, but she was never out of her cage (when I saw her). Due to some sad and untimely circumstances my g/f's Grammy was no longer able to care for her. :( Her family's first thought was to give her to me. I had been studying up on parrots for some time, and had been looking towards getting one.

Victoria moved in with us yesterday, and she's a bit put-off. She's a bit older 10 or so (vet paperwork didn't make it to the house yet) and obviously the change in environment has been a shocker for her. This will take time, and I am prepared to work for her affection. She has let me (albeit briefly) stroke her beak, but any attempt to step-up has led towards nipping. I belive she was on a simple seed and nut diet (i.e. parrot chow), so I began feeding her some fresh veggies. She's starting to open up to me a bit. Her beak looks a bit "worn" about 1/2 way down, but I've read that this is normal. Still, she and I are going to visit the vet this weekend and get her all checked out.

I do have an interesting question: What are your thoughts on changing her name? Not that I don't like her name now, but I have read that changing their name can sometimes help acclamate them to new environments. I believe she has always been called Victoria, and had been with Grammy since she was 2. I want to do everything I can to help her become more comfortable in our home, including leaving her alone when she wants to be.<br><br>Post edited by: Astro, at: 2007/03/19 01:50

• 3 months later...

hi astro,

i have now had my grey for a week and 4 days. his name was already buddy. i was gonna change it to beaky cos he likes to be nosey, but found out he knows his name too well he says hello all the time and uses buddy alot. maybe if ur parrot knows her name then keep it idf not change it and see what happens. pm me if u would like any help with her training and things i always lend a good ear .

Congratulations on your new friend! It sounds like you're doing a good job with her. Take your time, and she will adjust. When I adopted Nikko, it was probably 2 months before she would let me tickle her head, but with every passing month, she became more accepting. You can also try feeding her soft warm foods (like squash, potatoes, oatmeal, baby food) with a spoon or your fingers to help facilitate the bonding process.

I think changing your birdie's name if fine if you want to do it. I adopted Nikko when she was 4, and ultimately kept her name. However, we hardly ever call her that. She has a ton of nicknames (Beaker, Tweeters, Beakie, Nikkie, B, Beaks, Beakie B, Nikkie Beak, etc.) She probably doesn't have a clue who she is :S. What names are you considering?

I found the book the Well Behaved Parrot a good source of info. One part is all about how to get them focused on something else to stop the nipping while teaching the step up command. Good luck, with alot of patience you and Victoria will be fine. Enjoy your new baby

Astro, Hello & Welcome. I'm very happy for your new addition. It will take a while for her to adjust and settle in. That's a lot for a 10 year old, but it sounds like things are going very well.

I don't have any experience with name changes, but I'm sure others here will. :)