NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More blood appearing - help!

mas

Hey guys,

Yesterday we went to the vet, and had a borken blood feather removed - just now, I was having a shower, and Zahzu was sitting on the back of the chair in the bathroom chatting a little, and then preening - and when I got out the shower there was a drop of blood on the floor :(

I'm so frustrated - what do I do? I can't see where the blood is coming from - I've put her in her cage and giving her some food and going to put her to sleep in an hour or so.

Also, we are starting to notice she's not eating as much as she used to - I'm so frustrated and stressed - got knots in my tummy!

Oh, and it seems she's started to feather pluck again - on her crop area :(

I guess it's back to the vet tomorrow!

-Sameera

Oh you poor thing I feel for you I would have the vet take a bloodtest while your there mabie she is getting rundown and need somthing to help her get her strength back if she is losing blood all the time. she may be getting a little enimic a vitiaman supplement may be in order I would at least talk to the vet about her drop in appetite while you are there. Do you think she may be bleeing from the spot where the he pulld the feather yesterday mabie it just needs re packing

The drop of blood could be that when she was preening she could have opened up the hole from the pulled blood feather. All the fuss could have started the plucking as well...if a feather comes out and there is a big hub-bub over it that can cause picking. The constant trips to the vet that are high stress could also contribute.

Well, there was a drop of blood that landed clean on the floor - and the area where the feather was removed was on her back - say, the equivalent of where the tops of our shoulder blades are - like on her back basically; which makes me think that the blood wasn't from that wound.

How should I check? She won't let me look at all!

Also, the feather plucking started before yesterday's visit to the vet, I was thinking it could be pain from the blood feather that was broken last?

I know the vet visits are really stressful, for both of us even! But what should my next move be?? Should I force her to let me look??

Figured out where the blood is coming from - from under her left wing (the one she used to pluck). No more than that 1 drop came out, and there was 2 or 3 feathers on her body soiled with a tiny bit of blood.

It's really a small amount of blood - no more than 2ml at most that would have come out - do I need to worry about this?

Also, gave her sprouts and brocolli and she chowed into this - I'm worried we've being spoiling her with nuts and more seeds than usual, because we've been trying to increase her weight, so maybe thats why she's not eating as much pellets?

She's put to bed now.

Look forward to your always ever helpful guidance as to what I should do.

I'm feeling if there is no more blood coming out, maybe we can avoid a vet visit?

-Sameera

If there was only a drop of blood I would not put her through the trip to the vet. As for the spoiling, I did the same thing with Elmo after he fledged. Her weight didn't go up as much as I wanted so I gave her more nuts than you would normally give till her weight got to where I wanted it...at a wopping 384g hahaha! You can slowly take away nuts and seed and bring in more pellets.

Be sure when you suspect plucking to act like nothing is going on. The more of a fuss you make over it the more it will happen. The only time I would MAKE the bird let me inspect the area is if the blood was still dripping. At that point you want to get a second person to ether hold or look. Take a towel and play peek-a-boo and grab the bird under the jaw, making sure not to hold around the breast. being held makes for much easier and faster inspections. It can be done with only one person but it is more difficult alone.

Well, there was a bit more blood this afternoon, so I figured the feather would have to be removed - took her to the vet (stressful drive in the travel cage:( ) and the vet removed the damaged feather - it was actually an ingrown feather - he said it was very long, and growing back curled into the skin, so in any case it would have needed removal.

She seems ok, talking a little but doing a bit of plucking since we got home - but I'm paying her no attention!

the vet we saw today was not her usual one, and this vet told me next time I can remove the feather myself if necessary - he said it's like pulling out a hair, but from what I've read it's pretty painful for them am I right?

Anyway, hopefully, I pray, there won't be a next time! Going to talk to her regular vet tomorrow morning, and see what he says about the whole situation.

Thanks so much for the help everyone - you are an amazing support network for us!

-Sameera

Yes, an ingrown feather would need to come out. I'm thinking now that the ingrown feather would have been pretty irritating and that just might have been causing the start of the plucking issue again. And yes, plucking feathers does hurt...I have had to pull a few at work and the yelp every bird has let out I can tell it does. That's another reason I won't pull a feather just because it has let out a little blood.

The worst blood feather issue I have ever delt with was one time the one macaw broke a blood feather only about 1/3 of an inch from the skin and it was bleeding all over the place. There wasn't enough feather for the one girl I was working with to grab it with the forceps so I told her to hold and I got out the needle nose pliers, pulled the skin as far back as I could and was able to remove the feather stump. A little flower in the hole and he was good as new.

Well, a blood feather is basically just a new feather growing, that has an active blood supply encased in the 'pin' of the feather - which is like the 'stalk' of the new growing feather. The first 2 times I think she's fallen and they have gotten broken, the 3rd time I'm not sure what happened, but she may have nipped the feather by over-preening it, and this 4th most recent trip to the vet was an ingrown feather (otherwise known as a feather cyst).

Zahzu had to have all her primary flight feathers removed under anaesthetic after a bad bad bad wing clip - and now the new feathers growing in don't have protection so they are exposed, which makes them very vulnerable.

If you do a google image search, you'll find plenty of pictures of what a blood feather looks like :)

-Sameera