NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Training To Talk

Trustdace

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has wondered about this kind of thing. I have done some home work out on my own as well. No one seems to know if this behavior is something specific to the situation of prefering to be alone or if it is how our birds decide is the best way to get our attention being that they hear us say these words or make these sounds when we are near them.

BoBo (CAG) is 6 months old. I have asked a billion questions and read as many books and blogs trying to be the best Birdy parent possible.

Every answer seems to turn right back into the questions and is always ended by a statement informing you that each bird is diferent and you just need to decide for your self.

I can agree most of the time and love the varied answers i get or sugestions. I believ none of them are wrong and the perspective is very helpful.

So let me tell you what BoBo has done and does now.

BoBo started off making this grunting noise when we first got him. ( Bock Bock LOL) As time went one I asked mre questions and read more books and forums, I took trainig tactics and applied them as best I could and evalutaed them based on success. I can say that calling to BoBo from a distance or out of view has prooven to get the best responce. not always the words or sound I was trying to get however the interest seemed peeked and his attention was focused on my voice.

I have and will from time to time catch BoBo talking or attempting speech or new sounds when he sits off to himself. But more so lately I find that early morning and late afternoon just about the time the light starts to change before the sun goes down , that BoBo is very vocal and I use this behavior to encourage speech.

Being that our companion birds are so smart. I am sure the possibility that they use their understanding of what we want only to mess with out heads. They know we want them to talk, or why else would we sit and repeat our selves to them over and over again and again. They see us talking to eachother and they see that normally a responce is given when we do.

SO to be quite honest I think your bird is messing with you for fun. You want him/her to talk and want to see the event. He/she knows this and waits until you are away. Then when it happens you come runing and the already plentiful attention is now 2 fold.

I honestly believe our birds can have a sick sence of humor and really enjoy the hoops they can get us to jump through.

I fortunatly enjoy the hoop jumping but have had to buy and new phone that I can upgrade and add new ringer tones to just because I am tired of answering a phone that is nt really ringing. So far we have been through 8 ringer tones.

One more thing, even though each one of our companion birds is diferent , some traits will be consistant the majority of the time. Everywhere I have read states that most Greys are later talker if they choose to talk at all. Where some other birds begant to vocalize earlier Greys seem for the most part and I am just stating my inturpretation of what I have read, that greys normally really begin to vocalize more towards the 9 months to a year age and from there hold on to your socks or stuff them in your ears lol. I am sure that this did not flow in an organized train of thought but I hope the scattered rambeling gives you enough to concider as an answer or partial answer to your question.

C.J is exactly 8 months old and he doesnt talk yet, however he makes lots of funny noises as if he's trying to speak. Its not quite whistling but he makes the strangest grumbling/muffled noises especially when im not in the same room with him or directly in front of him...I know this is kind of off topic but he loves to throw things on the floor and then looks down on it then looks up at me & I mean everything, from his toy blocks to pens to paper :blink: