NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nail instruments and bib fabric...

Mel

Okay, let me try this again. It seems T-Bird insisted on joining me on the key board and I lost my message! :blink: I read numerous posts here but I am unsure of the clippers being used. Are they like the dog clippers, baby clippers or other? I have a regular dremel tool but would need to get the sand tip. My husband doesn't trust me or rather he doesn't want the bird scared of us. I do my dogs. We have a cement perch but the nails are sharp. He spends most of his time on the spiral rope perch. I'm going to set up crock pots by his cement perch today. Would that be enough time spent on it to keep it trim? I still need to do something now.

I'll probably also make the bib thingy today. I wonder if I should use waterproof canvas for a rougher fabric and maybe easier to clean without washing every time of wear? Hmmm...

I just use regular large size finger nail clippers on my birds and if you cover the birds head so he can't see who's cutting his nails and then scold the towel afterward for hurting him he will place the blame on the towel and not you I know this sounds funny but it works for my birds.

I know a place where the vet visits and does the wing, beak and nail trim on the third Sat of month for a reasonable price. However I don't want to wait since they are sharp. I really don't care to towel/cover his head. I want him to like the towel. But since I'm not going to clip his wings either I might as well do his nails myself and save the trip/cost entirely. Unless I find he needs his beak trimmed. I do want to make sure to use an instrument that has been successful with others. I can play with TBirds feet. I hope that is a good sign. The vet also told me fast growing nails can be a good sign of health. Thanks for the tips. Mel

I got one of those sandstone type mini-perches that I put on the door of the cage .. SOLVED my nail trimming problem completely! I didn't think it would, but .. I used to have holes all over my hands, but no more. I took him to a vet twice for nail trimming before I discovered this.

It's a green ugly thing .. but now, since it opens with the door, my signal that he's coming out of his cage is "Get on the green" .. I say that and he'll go to the green sandstone thingie; I open the door, and have him step-up to my hand.

Hi Mel,

Have you ever trimmed a Grey's toenails before? You need to be really really careful when doing so because there is blood supply to the nails, and if you rupture this - it is extremely painful to the bird.

We had a vet (whom we no longer go to) trim her nails - and he hurt one of her nails, and also filed her beak which was totally unnecessary. With the beak, she bumped it, and because it was filed too much, the beak bled a little - and this would have been painful for her also.

An over trimmed toenail is one of the possible precursors for feather plucking too (and our bird did go through a 3-week phase of feather plucking - however there were other issues too, which are now thankfully resolved!).

Also, since that not so wonderful nail file, she can't grip onto things - especially our jeans/pants when she is sitting on us, and has a tendency to fall and slip which is really unpleasant, and I'm sure stressful for her.

So pleaassseee be super careful - what I'd do to have those cuts back on my hand I can't tell you! I'd prefer that than to see my baby slipping and falling!

I don't mean to be such a horrible pessimist - but I learned from experience and it wasn't a nice experience.

-Sameera

Thanks for the warning. I do my dogs nails. I keep cornstarch handy for any accident. I even have an antiseptic glue. Are birds issues different or any worse than a dog? I usually clip just the tips of the dogs. Though dogs do not need nails for balance. I know too long of nails have issues as well.:unsure:

What works great for me is a Dremel with the rotating sanding attachment. When I notice Bobot's nails growing sharp or lifting his feet off the ground, I sand them down. It doesn't take long at all. At this point, he/she is so accustomed to this ritual. I just lift each toe off the perch, sand it down and move to the next. This also allows me better control and I haven't hit a vein yet. Give this a try!

You can also use a regular emory board that we women use on our nails but the best thing is to get several cement perches for their cage and put them in spots they will use and problem solved.

They do need a certain amount of point on the end for grip but not enough to pierce flesh.