NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to prevent broken blood feathers?

mas

Hey guys,

Sorry - has been a while since I've written here.

Since Zahzu had her visit with the vet, and got all the damaged feathers removed - she's been fine!

However, she has had bleeding blood feathers 3 times now in the past month! I've taken her to the vet twice - first time one feather was removed, second time - which was just a few days ago she had 3 removed (1 broken and bleeding a little, one about to bleed, and another one which was dried up - not sure why!).

On Friday morning I noticed blood on the bottom of her cage - just one drop, then Saturday night I saw she'd maybe overpreened a blood feather, and a tiny bit of blood came out - so I didn't panic, Sunday night more blood came out - but no vet was available and today, She seems fine, but noticed some blood on her beak after preening and I think there is a broken blood feather.

I'm thinking I better take her to get it removed - even though it's only a tiny bit of blood coming out, I think it may be bothering her, because she has plucked out a few feathers over the past few days!

I'm not panicking as much, but its very frustrating - any advice or support is welcome ;-)

She's chatting away and playing as normal, so rather sort this problem out quickly than let it go on. Just frustrating taking her to the vet so many times - will it get easier over time?

Hmmm...

Sameera :side:

Hi Sameera, thank you for updating us on Zahzu.Im sorry she is having so much trouble with her feathers.A blood feather is an actively growing feather that still has a blood supply running to it.I'm afraid once a broken blood feather begins bleeding, the simplest solution is to gently remove the damaged feather by pulling it.Some greys suffer more than others.Im afraid i cant offer any advice to avoid this happening,perhaps have a chat with your vet.

Like Tracy said, some birds are just more prone to damaging blood feathers than others. We have two young B&G macaws at my work, both just over a year old, and one is ALWAYS damaging a blood feather. What we do when we see blood is take him to the back and examin the feather. If the feather is just a little bloody and is only bleeding a little (like he just knocked it on something) we pack it with flower...the blood is normally coming from the top of the shaft where the feather itself it exposed. If it is broken and hemorrhaging pretty good then we will remove it. Just today all the birds got spooked and hit the floor (all 11 macaws) because of a "Floating Orb of Death"...aka a ballon...and sure enough he damaged a blood feather. It slpattered all over me and the wall when he put up a fight about getting held for inspection but the feather was not damaged to the point of needing removal. We packed it, made sure the bleeding had stopped, and put him in his cage for the rest of the day. One thing to remember when it comes to birds that are chronic blood feather damagers is that when you remove a blood feather another one is coming in right behind it and chances are that one will be damaged as well. So really you are better off trying to keep the feathers that are already half way grown out so you have less time before it becomes a normal feather.

Thanks guys. Went to the vet just now, and it was a very damaged blood feather that was removed - she'd chewed off the 'feather' part, and just the 'stalk' was left - so blood was coming out the end of it, so it definately had to be removed. The vet said that she may need to go onto the antidepressants/calmatives we talked about earlier if she keeps breaking feathers.

Our last 2 visits to the vet they haven't charged us - they are angels! Need to go bake something for them now.

Zahzu was in such a good mood this morning before taking her to the vet - feel very guilty for putting her through all of this! She's back to her normal self now, just a bit peeved I can tell - she doesn't want to sit with me! I'm sure she'll get over it soon enough.

Ps. will need to avoid those 'floating orbs of death' ;-) lol.

-Sameera

"The vet said that she may need to go onto the antidepressants/calmatives we talked about earlier if she keeps breaking feathers"

Mas i would really weigh this decision up, personally i dont see the connection with the blood feathers,this kind of medication is more common with plucking birds,but then im not a vet :S Maybe someone will point out the benefits ?

Thanks for updating us & im sure she forgives you ;)

I am so sorry to hear of the continued problems with plucking.

As Tracy indicated. Putting your Grey on would preferably the last path to go down. If you haven't already, perhaps a good question and answer session with your vet may help explain their experience in dealing with this and why it would be the right path at this point to take. Also ask how long this type of treatment was necessary in previous cases dealt with in this manner and if the previous birds resumed plucking after the antidepressants were stopped.

I assume you are also misting your grey with aloe juice atleast 3 times weekly and giving him Red Palm Oil in some of his foods daily. These two items will help immensely in reducing irritation, keeping the skin supple and the oil will provide the natural vitamins, enzymes and fatty acids that Greys receive in the Wild by consuming Palm Nuts.

You are such a great Grey owner. :-) You have been through the mill and don't ever give up. That is highly admirable of you and I commend you for it!!

I don't know about antidepressents and birds but if its basicly for plucking birds and yours isn't pluking just breaking feathers I would say see if she grows out of it wait until she has completly molted and all feathers are replaced mabie the next ones that come in will be stronger and she won't damage them as often

For sure - I think the medication would be an absolute last resort - and the vet is treating it as just that which I'm glad about.

This molting business is such a pain - can't wait for it to be over - but I hear it can take about 5months! Eeek!

Will keep you all updated - going to go warm up some birdie bread for the little madam now ;-)

-Sameera