NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bathing my Grey

n2fisher

WOW! WHAT a BLAST!!!

For years I've tried to get Gandalf to take a bath. He's refused repeatedly .. will not go near water. I've done the usual -- spray him with a misting bottle, splashed water on his feet, taken him into the shower with me, built a PVC stand he can be on in the shower while I splash him periodically, etc.

The only thing he allowed water to touch his body is in his water bowl -- periodically (2-3 times a month) when he felt the need to take a bath he goes to the corner of his cage where his water dish is and make a complete mess -- get into the dish, splash the water around, etc. It's gotten to where I had to refill the water dish three times during his baths, which of course all wound up on the cage bottom / floor / walls / etc.

Yesterday I had the idea of .. DUH .. try to get him into a bath when HE wanted to. So, he started his routine of going to his water bowl and giving himself a bath. I tried to get him out of his cage; he refused to step up. I finally took the bowl out of the cage and he stepped up. I took him into the kitchen, and with him on one hand threw things around the kitchen to try to get a bath set up.

HE LOVED IT!!! He had an absolute BLAST. He got his entire under side in -- dunked his tail feathers and lowered his legs, then put his beak in and pushed forward til he hit the corner, getting his breast completely soaked. I took the mister and got his backside, and he expressed pleasure instead of somewhat acceptance of something he didn't like.

He bathed himself for at least 20 minutes, and was completely soaked when he was done. I took him outside and let him flap his wings to dry off.

So the key for me was .. wait for when HE was ready to do it, and provide an appropriate place rather than what he was able to do.

Now .. to see if he will take to it next time when I provide it, rather than making me interrupt his next bath (if I'm in the room when he starts it..)

How often should I try to bath him? Debating trying again today (this happened yesterday) just to see if he'll do it.

I'll try to attach a pic of him taking a bath -- haven't done that previously, we shall see if it works. 104_8122___Copy.JPG

Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/07/26 15:53<br><br>Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/07/26 15:54

104_8122___Copy.JPG

Evidently you can only put one image per reply .. here's another photo -- you can see how much fun he's having by the amount the water is moving and running off him. The ONLY water in this picture is in the 13x9 baking dish .... those two streams of water on the right are where he just pulled his wing out of the water, and it's running off the wing! 104_8125___Copy.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/07/26 16:30

104_8125___Copy.JPG

One more photo .. my wife took some great shots! 104_8132_500w.JPG

By the way -- his feathers really do feel different today than they have previously. He obviously really needed the bath; bathing in his waterbowl just wasn't getting him as wet as he could be. He's clearly much cleaner than he has been in his four years of life!<br><br>Post edited by: n2fisher, at: 2008/07/26 18:43

104_8132_500w.JPG

Thanks for sharing those great shots of Gandalf finally getting a proper bath and he does seem to be enjoying himself and I know you enjoyed the cleaning up afterwards, but all part of the job. Now if you can do this at least twice a week because thats how often they need it:whistle: :S :laugh:

Mel -- Gandalf has never flown, other than a diagonol line from the side of his cage to the floor, or from another perch 3 feet or so down to the floor. We like to say that we've never told him that he can fly.

I had him clipped about 6 months ago, but I don't think I'm going to do that anymore. It changes how he looks too much for my taste.

I guess the feathers have grown back in enough that I should start to be worried again, but .. he's been out with me many hours and has shown no tendency to fly away. I usually try to hold him while going outside with him (you see my thumb over his toes), but he's sat outside last year for hours with me on a simple stand -- no leash -- while I sit in a chair with my laptop, working.

I bought a "flying harness", but haven't taken the time to figure out how to get it on him yet; the video that came with it said it takes many hours for the bird to get comfortable having it put on him.

http://www.birdsupplies.com/The-Aviator-Bird-Harness-p/puv001xx.htm

Does anyone have recommendations on an easier harness or leash?

Great pics of Gandalf!

I would seriously caution anyone from allowing their bird out uncaged or w/o harness, ever. All it takes is once. One time the bird gets spooked, one time the wind is just right, one time they just decide to give it a try and they are gone. I have heard too many a heartbreaking story of this happening. Clipped or not under the right conditions and determination (like fear) they are off. This is arguably even worse in the case of a bird w/o flying skills. They cannot control where they go once airborn since flying is a learned skill and they will keep flapping away simply out of fear.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on the matter but I felt compelled to make this cautionary post to owners, particularly new ones. It is highly unadvised comming from many bird owners with decades of experience. Peace.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2008/07/28 05:11

I'd also caution you about taking him outside without a harness. Read Andrew's story about Tui and you'll see that any bird, no matter how bonded to you, can be lost in an instant. You obviously love Gandalf, and I'd hate to read a post here one day that he was startled off a perch and lost. Lots of people here take their bird out, either in a portable carrier like an Adventure Pack, or with the harness you have. I takes some birds longer than others to get used to it, but after all, what are a few hours in the life of a grey and its' humans;)

btw, great pictures of a very wet bird!

• 4 weeks later...

Well .. it's been almost a month, and I was finally able to get Gandalf to take another bath. I didn't get the camera immediately; I started taping about 1/2 way through the bath. Here's a video of it:

hopefully will come through like that!

Thanks! Yes, he seems to have a blast doing it. I got some of that aloe water spray and sprayed that on him, and that started his desire to have a bath. He went over to the waterbowl in his cage again, and .. I took it out again, he came right over to me, and I took him to the kitchen and set up the dish with water.

The first time he was wet when he came out, but this time he was COMPLETELY soaked .. almost dripping when I initially picked him up!

I didn't notice the cloudy water before you mention it .. I presume that's a good thing to get grey dust off of him? He certainly seems much happier after he gets cleaned.

What great pics. He looks like he is having the time of his life. I bet you had just as much fun watching as he did getting soaked. I've been trying to think of a way to get Baxter to do something like this. I tried urging him in the sink, but nope, then I had a baking dish like you had and put it in his cage but he wanted no part of it. (He went in his water dish,too) He does get sprayed & soaked once or twice a week but think he would have much more fun and get a better job done if you he would only do it like yours did. You have inspired me to try again. Good thinking on your part!:woohoo:

BaxtersMom -- the trick with mine (as I said, this was the second bath) was to catch him when HE was taking a bath. I removed the waterbowl from his cage (getting him a bit upset at me), and quickly took him to the kitchen and provided the baking dish.

It means fast work on your part, but my theory is that you have to "catch them doing it", as you do with kids.

Good luck! (And yes, I had almost as much fun watching as Gandalf did enjoying the bath!)

The same trick works with my CAG. If I see that see is getting into her water dish I can put out a big pan of water and she will get into it. If I put of the water when she is not in her bathing mood she shows absolutly no interest in taking a bath.

On a the same note, my CAG likes to take a bath about every 2 - 3 weeks.

N2Fisher: It looks like you have a nice sized sink there. Next time fill that up with 2-4" (or so) of water. That baking pan just looks like you are teasing her.