NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

almost no cage time at all...

LiloForever

My Grey gets almost no cage time at all,

I work out of my home 2 days a week, and work from home rest of the time. When he was younger I used to put him in the cage at night and when I m not home. He began to go into the cage himself during night time, so slowly I just stop closing the cage door. Now he just come and goes as he pleases. When I leave my house I just close all the doors and let him have the whole living room to himself..(thats where the cage and play stand is at). When I come home, I usually find him inside the cage or on top of the cage. I know when I m not home, he doesnt go anywhere besides his cage and the play stand. He would only go to other places when I m home. like if I m sitting infront of the computer, he would fly over and sits on top of my computer table which has a small stand. I know this because I m pretty anal about where I put my things, if anything is misplaced or being touched I would know.

I try to make my house as bird proof as possible. What do you guys think about this? Am i putting my grey in danger by doing this?

For all you guys that read my other posts,I was home both times when Lilo got into trouble. just want to make this clear..

Thanks, all input is welcome!!

I think it's great he gets so much out of cage time :)

My concern would be when your out,as much as we try to make our homes 100% bird friendly,there is always going to be a risk of accidents.The only time i would allow a grey total freedom is if your fortunate to have a bird room for that purpose.How can you be so sure he doesn't go anywhere & stays on his cage or play-stand ? Personally i feel it's a too bigger risk to take,i would lock Lilo in his cage for the times you are out.

I must agree with lovemygreys but im new to this and couldnt trust my baby grey out alone not even for 5 mins mayb when he becomes older this may work and id like to think so but it only takes 1 mistake or wire! im not sure but if you do this now and then later on in his life you have to start locking him away he might not understand why and get annoyed dont take my word for that thou.

I dont think this is a good idea at all! What if a noise startles him and he has an accident?

I believe all greys should be supervised when they have out time of there cage, unless of course you have a bird room which is completely safe.

My CAG is also a fully cage free bird (except for when she goes into her travel carrier for a trip outside).

The problems with this are that they will chew on stuff that you don't want them to (currently Bappy is destroying a 8 year old backpack of mine <but I'm letting her do this as a treat and diversion). But I just consider that a price I am willing to pay. Of course you need to get all dangerous things out of the area she is in. And I would replace all electrical sockets with GFI sockets, and put all electrical cords in metal sheaths along with armored plugs.

The benefits of this free free environment I feel are substantial. It allows the bird freedom to "do their own thing" which really de-stresses them. You are also able to observe their real personality. For instance, my bird will choose new place to perch every now and then. She will also almost always choose to sleep as close as possible to my head, which I think is kinda neat and a showing of affection on her part. I could go on but I'm in a rush...

And finally.... WHY cage the prettiest creatures?<br><br>Post edited by: SFsailor, at: 2008/07/24 17:56

Wow,

Thanks for everyones reply..I m happy to get at least one person that also have a caged free bird. My bird sleep on top of his cage. But he always flys over to me in the morning and tries to wake me up by lightly poke my eyes with his beak or make alot of noise. Sometimes when I m too tired and ingores him, he will just stand near my head and watche me untill I get up. I do enjoy our close bonding and I think partly is due to the free environment. I will def. check and recheck again to totally bird proof my house. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I am also at home with my my GAG most of the day and the only time he is in his cage is to sleep at night. I have no problem with him being out even if I am not home. I also have a web cam on him so I can monitor him on my iPod. He spends most of his time on his play tree or by the window. He is much more active when I am at home. He is also fully flighted. He has never yet given me cause to distrust him.

Steve n Misty

Elmo doesn't spend much time in her cage ether. If I am home she is out 90% of the time. At night she sleeps on the cage door or the nightstand...she likes my alarm clock. Although my room is very much bird proofed, she still is locked in when I leave for work. I couldn't stand the thought the though of not knowing what she is or isn't getting into. One day I want to setup a room like Tracy has and have a whole room JUST for the birds so she can be out even when I'm not home.

I am at home with the birds most of the time. So if I'm home they are out. However we have cats and a rat terrier. Martini isn't flighted at the moment and Alex has a tendency to chace him. I would be way to stressed to leave them out of thier cages when no one is home and for bed time.