NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to forum, meet Boomer

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and to CAG's, but not new to the bird world,as i have QP's and teil's and a B and G, I need lots of advice, i brought Boomer home Sat 7/19 and the breeder said he is 16 wks old, he choose me so how could I leave him there, I couldn't so my flock is one more strong, all and any advice is greatly welcomed,

This is Boomer,

Thank you for the welcome and yes i have a ton of ?, first boomer is 16 wks? according to the breeder and still on 2 feedings, i have tried to feed since sat eve and he only takes very small, very small amout then backs off or fights me like he doesn't want anymore, but then when i mess with him he grabs my finger or thumb and starts the head bobbing like they do when they feed, i m worried that he is not eatin the formula, i have tried syringe like breeder showed me and the bent spoon as well, and he makes this little squeak, is that normal he does it when he sees me or hears me, he is very quiet compared to my QP's and B/G, this is his 2nd day hear and he is pickin at the dry food i have for him and drinkin water as well, also i have different sizes and styles of perches and one is a calcium perch he is pickin it apart he has got a good amout off the end just since yesterday, is this ok ?

Can use any and all suggestions, he picked me and i want him to know he did the right thing

Thanks Susan

Hello susan and welcome to the family, so glad you have decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Bommer.

You did very well in allowing the grey to pick you as that is the best way but it does not always work out that way as mine was picked out for me but I am not complaining.

You came to the right place if you are looking for advice from other well experienced grey owners, we have members who have more than one grey and some that have had greys for a long time and they have a vast knowledge of them and love to share what they know. I will give you my two cents worth as my grey is just 2 years old so I am a fairly new owner myself.

Browse thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will do our best to find you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of Bommer you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

BTW, Tracy, aka LovemyGreys is the known authority on hand feeding greys, she is moderator of the nursery room, just ask her anything and she will be more than happy to give you her advice.

Susan by 16 weeks greys are usually fully weaned,some do take slightly longer but in general they will be refusing hand-feeds & eating adequately on their own.It sounds to me as if he is telling you he has had enough.I would drop the first feed you give him & just offer a warm feed before bed,a little warm oatmeal or some baby food,dont be too concerned if he only has a small amount or refuses.As long as he is eating through out the day then there;s nothing to worry about.The little baby squeaks are perfectly normal.Keep an eye on the calcium perch,he may not be ingesting too much,the best way to ensure he gets his calcium is in his food..African greys are prone to calcuim deficiencies so be sure to offer foods which are rich in calcium,bok choy,spinach,broccoli,turnip greens,mustard greens...;)

Thank You for the info, Boomer is takin a little formula of an early eve as i go to bed fairly early due to gettin up so early, he just grabs my finger or thumb and starts the head bob, so i thought maybe he was hungry, he is eatin dry food as well, the fresh foods i have offered he doesn't seem to take to yet, but i will keep it up

again thanks

Susan

Hi Susan,

Weighing your grey on a daily basis you will be able to tell if he/she is gaining or loosing but even at 16 weeks I feed them 10ml twice a day until they tell me no more. I never stop feeding until the baby lets me know that he is no longer wanting feedings. Good luck