NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh vs. Congo

aasweeney22

Hi there Aasweeney22 welcome here ;)

As for talking I have no idea really. Maybe some of the other posters can tell their personal experiences with that, but as far as the more 'accepting' part (2) of your question:

that is indeed what I have read as well ;)

Each individual bird differs -- I've know CAG's that wont speak (My Friends, it only makes noises), and TAG's (My friends Husband's bird) that won't shut up... I've known the reverse, I've known CAGS that are really happy go lucky (My mom's bird) So from everything that I've experianced, the only REAL difference from the CAG to the TAG is . . .the look

I don't know about much of the differences because i've never owned a timneh and it is mostly having to do with the birds personalitys. Only thing I would tell you is.. Personally the look of the congo is better for me. But what's cool is the timnehs look alot more exotic.

CAGS have the ability to imitate more amounts of human language than TAGS, On the other hand, TAGS have the ability to imitate many more different sounds than a CAG and TAGS will do their imitations much more quickly than a CAG will imitate human language. CAGs have to hear those words frequently and then they will practice those words for a while and when they're practicing those words the owner will have no idea what the CAG is practicing until the actual word/words are finally spoken. TAGs have the ability to imitate sounds almost as quickly as they hear those sounds. Personally, color means nothing to me. They're as different from each other as 2 different amazons are .---example....Double yellow headed amazon and yellow naped amazon.---Dave

• 5 months later...

I haven't a grey or any experience with them, but I'm looking into getting one and there for have been reading a lot on them.

From everything I've read it seems to answer the second part of your question its more how they are raised than anything else. If you want your grey to be accepting of new people and surrounds you want to make sure you introduce them to many different people while they are young so they grow accustomed to it. Also, if you pick a grey from a group of babies and you want one that'll be more accepting then you want one that is more curious and confident which is typically the first one to come up to you out of the group. However, a lot of literature does claim CAGs tend to be more 1 person birds than TAGs.

Hope that helps ;)

CursingLlama wrote:

However, a lot of literature does claim CAGs tend to be more 1 person birds than TAGs.

Your right CursingLlama, there are many opinions and literature, but not any real scientific studies for proof.

Your comments regarding how the Grey is socialized and the environment as a whole that it is brought up in. Is the key factor in all humans, animals, birds etc.

Just pick the breed of Grey you prefer size and look wise. Then just love it and nurture it. :-)

I do not agree with what MrSpock wrote. The CAG's and TAG's are equal on their speaking abilities. The only speech differences that i have ever heard of is that the TAG will speak sooner than the CAG. TAG's average weaning age is a little sooner than a CAG so they get a little bit of a head start.

I did read something saying that CAG's are a little more phobic than TAG's, and it is believed that is because the TAGs don't need as long to mature so they normally don't get force weaned and sent out before they are ready.

Guest briansmum

HAHA cursingllama... my other half just got an Xbox, i didn't half have a laugh at some of those generated names! so so funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

anyway.. um.. on topic... they're both great, get one of each ;)