NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How long does your grey molt for?

zooman

Hey everyone im really curious Zuri my TAG is just over a year and a half old and has been molting slowly for atleast 5 months and still loosing flight and smaller feathers to this day.I can tell hes not plucking because i can see the difference in colours between new and old and this is my first grey so do greys have a long molting time? I know all breeds are different but im curious since in comparison my Alexandrine has a very quick molt that lasts maybe 2 months and i know he would benefit from having a slower molt and im more worried about my alex that my grey cause it must be and he shows it to me in his behaviour hes not really having fun loosing so many feathers so fast i give them baths and they both love them.

The first molt is the largest they will ever go through. It lasts many months, as you are experiencing.

Basically, every feather will be replaced before this first molt is over. The Tail and Wing feathers are the last to molt out.

Guest briansmum

yes zooman what you describe is perfectly normal. as dan said their first molt is more often than not the most intense and lasts the longest.

brian is almost the same age as zuri and has been slowly molting since about 10 months old, he's recently lost a lot of primary flight feathers and as such is a bit wobbly in the air (poor thing).

they do look a bit unkempt when molting especially on the neck and chest area, if you give him a good scratch you'll be able to feel all the pin feathers and if he'll let you, you can help losen the sheaths in the more hard to reach places for him.. i.e upper neck and head.

im sure you know that some aloe vera juice in the water can help sooth molting stress and keep the new feathers in great condition.

it could go on for another several months but this is normal. as dan said they have to regrow EVERY feather! could you imagine having to regrow every one of your teeth every year ;)