NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Seeds Or Pellets

Trustdace

I aquired my grey from a respected breeder of exotic parrots and birds. This guy has everything, from Cuban amazons, yellow nape amazons, cherry head conures, macaws, Indonesian parrots...and too much to list. He currently has 13 breeding pairs of greys. He's been doing this over 27 years. When I purchased mine he had a bunch of chicks from 21 days old just removed from the nest to 6 months old. He told me that the pelleted food is prefferable to any other food supply. He weaned my grey to Zupreem premium pellets. I currently give it Zupreem Harvest Mix. The breeder told me that fresh fruit and vegetables are also to be offered daily but the bird must eat the pellets first because pellets contain 100% nutrition my grey will need. He told me to feed seeds but in very, and he stressed very, moderate amounts.

My feeding regimen for Congo is:

First thing in the morning I feed it pellets because I have observed that in the morning it is hungry and I want pellets to be its staple food item. Later on after noon I offer it chopped fruit and veggies. His favorite fruit is cantaloupe melon. Its favorite veggie is snap peas. I also offer it broccoli, carrots, peas, green beans, corn, cauliflower, apples, and bananas daily. Then in the early evening I feed it a seed and grain mix called Vitakraft which Congo devours. I believe the seeds make my grey work for its food and it seems like its natural instincts kick in when it eats seed. I also give it Vitaseed as a treat when I'm training it. This is a vitamin supplemented seed mix.

In conclusion, I believe offering my grey seeds is very beneficial to its diet and I will continue to do so. But, I prefer that it eats more pellets than any other food item and yes even fruit and veggies. Simply because pellets alone have 100% of the needed nutrition your bird needs for all aspects of its physical health. CongoSeedServing.jpg

CongoSeedServing.jpg

Pellets MAY have 100% of their required vitamins, but they do NOT give them everything they need. They lack enzymes and trace elements (& roughage) that can only come from fresh fruit and vegetables.

IMO, Greys need a diet comprised of 25% pellets, 75% fresh foods (dark green vegies, dark orange colored vegetables (yam, squash, carrots, etc.), tropical fruits (papaya, mango, pomegranate, etc.) & melons, peas, corn, cooked whole grains, sprouted seeds, and cooked mixed beans.) Treats may consist of unroasted almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, and fresh domestic fruit.

In addition, snacks like wholemeal toast with almond butter, hard-cooked eggs, and healthy people food are also welcome in their diets.

If all we fed were these "complete diet" pellets, our birds would die of boredom. Variety is the spice of life! Without variety, we can't possibly consider their diets balanced.

OK, soapbox is put away now. :lol:

Fresh vegetables are generally best offered first thing in the morning when they are their hungriest; pellets for the majority of the day; and finally fresh fruit and seed-type foods at the end of the day.

So, you are already well on your way, with a few minor adjustments.

M2MM, thanx for the reply and yes your right. I must agree with you that fresh fruit and veggies provide the roughage which helps maintain a healthy digestive tract and give our pets variety. The point I was trying to make is that pellets is my target staple food because I want to be sure it is getting the most complete nutrition, especially in my case that I work 12 hour shifts and do not have the time throughout the day to offer greens and veggies. If I would leave them in its food bowl I would be concerned that they would spoil. Thanx again!B)

Trustdace wrote:

My feeding regimen for Congo is:

First thing in the morning I feed it pellets because I have observed that in the morning it is hungry and I want pellets to be its staple food item. Later on after noon I offer it chopped fruit and veggies. His favorite fruit is cantaloupe melon. Its favorite veggie is snap peas. I also offer it broccoli, carrots, peas, green beans, corn, cauliflower, apples, and bananas daily. Then in the early evening I feed it a seed and grain mix called Vitakraft which Congo devours.

Trust,

Pellets do help to ensure your Grey or other parrots are getting the critical vitamins, minerals and a low fat protien source.

In the wild, they forage all day long. The first thing they do in the morning is go to the water hole, drink some water, eat some clay/dirt and feed on the surrouning veggies. They also eat Palm Nuts which gives them plenty of oil, fatty acids etc. When an insect or other opportunity provides itself, they eat those too. They of course eat seeds, fruit, nuts and grains as they happen upon them.

With that said, I believe M2MM hit the nail on the head. A widely varied diet of Seed, Fruit, Nuts, Veggies and Pellets will keep your Grey happy and healthy.

Remember - There are NO pellets in the wild and they live for 60 + years in the wild.

But, you are correct, in stating that someone who has a work schedule that lessens the ability to prepare many varieties of small meals/snacks through out the day. May need to rely more heavily on the pelleted solution. To help ensure your Grey is getting all the neccessary protien, fats, vitamins and minerals needed.

It sounds like you are trying very hard to keep your Grey in tip-top shape and provide it with a wide variety of eating experiences of different tastes, textures and beak crushing fun on those seeds and nuts. :-)

I truly wish more people would give this kind of careful thought and consideration to the pets they own. You are setting a fine example!!

Thanx Dan. I know that all of us here have one thing in common, the very best for our pets! You mentioned something I've been considering to get for my grey African Palm Nuts. Do you feed these to your grey Dan? I've seen some African Palm Nut Extract for sale on the net as well as the whole palm nuts. Can you offer any advice on this?

Hi Trust - I did purchase some Palm Nuts from an online store in Utah back in November. They only provide them during the winter months. Once received they need to be washed and then frozen. I just take out 2 each day and feed them when I give Dayo his fruit/veggies. He "Picks" at them, but does not love them as do some other Grey owners Parrots do. Palm Nuts are very hard to get here in the USA.

Therefore, almost all of us here on the Forum purchase Red Palm Oil off the Internet and mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of it in there daily foods. I normally mix it in with scrambled eggs, in his bean mix or drip it over some of his pellets.

I purchase it at Swanson Vitamins Online:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&productId=16591&SourceCode=INTL078&CAWELAID=147455886

It provides the Oils, Omega acids and vitamins A and E which they would normally get in the wild by eating the Palm Nuts.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/07/20 14:49