NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

22 year old Greys

santo_jamman

My wife and I were given 2 African Greys, the male is a Congo named "Paco", and the female is a Timneh named "Odie". With the birds came a 4x6 foot cage from CagesByDesign.com. Odie is a sweetheart. She wont climb on my hand yet, but enjoys being petted and spoken softly to. Paco on the other hand bites every time someone tries to pet him. The previous owners claim he was once hand tame, but they lost interest in him after they started breeding dogs, and he became wild. He intimidates Odie to the point that she just walks around on the bottom of the cage instead of being on her favorite perch. I am hoping that I dont have to just accept things as they are, as we were both very much looking for affectionate birds to live with. Any halp would be greatly be appreciated.

• 3 years later...

Hi…and NO you don’t have to accept things the way they are now. Its going to take some time but you can bring your CAG around. I would suggest learning as much as you can about parrot behavior. You might want to think about getting another cage for your TAG. She sounds sweet and if your CAG is intimidating her she is under stress.

The next thing would be to keep Paco around you as much as possible. Move his cage to where ever you just hang out, watch TV, bang away on the computer, or read. It is important that he just sees you for awhile. Once he settles in you’ll know (He won’t act as nervous around you) then you can begin training him. Go slow…it takes time but you can bring him around.

Qweevox wrote:

Hi…and NO you don’t have to accept things the way they are now. Its going to take some time but you can bring your CAG around. I would suggest learning as much as you can about parrot behavior. You might want to think about getting another cage for your TAG. She sounds sweet and if your CAG is intimidating her she is under stress.

The next thing would be to keep Paco around you as much as possible. Move his cage to where ever you just hang out, watch TV, bang away on the computer, or read. It is important that he just sees you for awhile. Once he settles in you’ll know (He won’t act as nervous around you) then you can begin training him. Go slow…it takes time but you can bring him around.

I whole heartedly agree with Qweevox. Time, love and patients will win.

I agree with all of the above. Take it slowly, and definitely give your TAG her own cage. After your CAG has settled in, take things slowly and do not be intimidated by a nip. There can be no reaction whatsoever. No "ouch!", no wincing, no flinching, nothing. Sounds difficult, but you can do it.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

• 1 year later...

Okay I was looking through the forums and found this one... I have recently adopted a TAG about three mos ago from an elderly woman who just could not take care of him anymore...she said that she had just recently gotten a dog and they didnt not get along and needed to get him to a new home so we adopted him... Now we have had him for three mos...he will take treats through the cage bars but thats about it... when it comes to trying to pet him :/ he lunges at you... I dont think he has ever be handled or even let out of the cage for that matter...but it just takes time and patience... I will sit by his cage and read to him all day long lol and he'll repeat some of the things I say every now and then and other times he gets bored with it but all in all I try and show him as much attention as I can... just hang in there and keep us posted ;)