NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Opinion on Taming

Ryan13

I want to thank everyone for all of the advice that has been given to me. I had someone respond to one of the forums and gave me a great link. I also had someone email me with a totally different approach. I just want to know which one works better.

One is to take your bird to another room either by a towel or in his cage and when he is is away from his cage to remove it and start workin with him with a stick in 1 hand and use the other hand. Try to make him step up so basically force yourself on him to make him not afraid of you. THat was the link advice

The other is to keep his cage closed except for 2-3 hours a day and not feed him inside of the cage, treats that is, feed them through the bars and eventually try to scratch his head and he will associate my hands as good not bad. This seems like it would take a while but the other method seems like you are forcing yourself. Which one sounds better??

Thanks.

Either way I think you are forcing yourself. The second one is more moderate. But I do not like to starve my bird. I am taking it to the restroom with me today!

Fortunately, it does not bite me. It just touches my fingers with its beak and makes the growling noise. Not so loud anymore.

Ryan, from all I've read about it, both ways don't seem very effective. All I keep reading is to be patient and talk, talk, talk - while approaching and slowly let the bird get used to what it is you want.

If I'd have to tame a bird then this would be the approach I'd take... but obviously it's up to you :)

I agree with FairY. These guys do not like to be forced, and may react negatively (i.e. biting or running around their cage to avoid you). Slow things down, spend lots of time conversing with them, offer a treat from your hand. As smart as they are, they will figure out that you're not there to hurt them and will gain confidence in you as a friend.

Please let us know how things go!