NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh African Grey Breeders

Rico_Suave

Hello members,

I've been researching for about a month on African Greys. I was initially attracted to the CAG, but I found out that the TAG was a better bird because of it's laid back personality and less neurotic behavior compared to its cousin CAG.So, I decided that this would be a parrot that I would like to get. The first thing I did was search for a Timneh breeder, but was very unsuccessful in finding one within reasonable distance in PA. I learned shortly afterwards that Timneh aren't as popular for breeding because they are shipped in less numbers that the Congo and something about breeding them is difficult compared to the Congo. So my questions are, Does anyone know of a Timneh Breeder in the eastern part of PA and is this information true about the disposition of the Timneh vs Congos true? I have read that this information is debatable among the Grey community. Thanks!!:cheer:

My TAG is a rough'n'tumble little fellow that's full of spunk and sass. They are smaller than CAGs (he's about 305 grams) and very chatty. They don't talk as clearly as CAGs (from personal experience), but that suits me just fine - I prefer a bird that sounds more like a bird. He can still inflict damage with his beak (mostly nasty pinches) when he gets too wound up and excited. It's all a matter of keeping your hands to yourself when he's overexcited. He's generally cuddly first thing in the morning and just prior to bedtime. The rest of the day, he plays, eats, flies around showing off his acrobatic skills, and beats up toys (& sometimes people :laugh: ) Small children should definitely stay clear of a young bird that's "feeling his oats" (just to warn you.)

I'm in Canada, so I can't help you with the breeder. Hopefully someone else near your area can help. You will also need an avian vet for your bird. If you find a vet first, the vet might be able to help you with the name of a reputable breeder. Finding the right breeder is very important. The bird's first contact with humans needs to be a good one in order to turn out well.

Good luck in your search & research. :)<br><br>Post edited by: M2MM, at: 2008/07/16 22:27

I have both a Tag & Cag. I have had my TAG for almost 3 years. Her vocabulary is amazing. She picks words and phrases up in just a couple of days. She learned her phone number in 3 days! :cheer:

I find that she speaks as clear as we do. And she talks way more than most. She will talk all day, and rarely whistles. But then again, I rarely whistle back, only use words to communicate with her.

So, there is a difference in how they are raised, and their personalities to take into consideration. I find that she is much less neurotic, and more laid back, but extremely active! ;)

I can't help with a breeder, but I live in Massachusetts, and had her shipped from FL.<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/07/17 04:16