NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Macaws and apartment

SarahDavid

Just wanted to share conversation between me and Allexpert/Dr. S.August Abott, because i was originally most interested in the greenwinged macaw.

Question:

I'm very interested in getting a (green-winged) Macaw, i already talked to a breeder closeby about buying one from her, but i live in an apartment and very concerned that my neighbors/husband will complain about the loud noise and will force me to give it away. I feel I'm in dilemma, between my commitment to this wonderful pet and the thought of losing it.. Macaws only house owners pets?

ANSWER:

You're right to be concerned. A macaw scream can be heard up to eight (8) miles away! Eeek! Most companion macaws don't feel the need to give this loud of a scream, but I know for sure that a single call by my blue and gold, in play, is heard two blocks away. At least. These really aren't apartment birds. I know you really want one, but consider that they also live to be about 65 years old. You will never be able to take a vacation without a 'bird sitter' who really knows birds. You must keep regular hours both in sleep and at work - macaws need to be out of cage no less than 4 hours, preferably longer, every day. Ours are out for 7 or 8. Don't forget the twice a year vet visits for check ups and grooming. These birds are like having a child, but it never grows up and moves out. Once a bird bonds to you it would be emotionally stressful at the very least to suddenly give it up or give it away. That's when they usually start being handed around, sold and re sold until they have some serious behavior problems and end up cage bound, unhandleable, biters and problem screamers. They could be just a couple years old or many years old and end up forever doomed to being unloved and mistreated (the lucky ones come to me) - some end up even worse. So, the truth (which is what I believe you really want to hear) is that you should probably hold off until you have a private home and know you're as secure as can be for the rest of your life. You'll need to know of a doctor first (like you wouldn't bring home a new baby human without having a pediatrician lined up) and where does the bird go after you're life is done? Take a look here for more info and pics www.4AnimalCare.org

• 2 weeks later...

That doesn't go for just Macaws that goes for any medium to large bird they all have fairly long life spans and are very much like pepetual 2 year olds so that should all be said to any one looking into owning a bird the are a huge responsibillty and not for everyone they are a lot of work you can't just put a bowl of kibble and fresh water out for them and expect them to be happy they need alot of attention and speical care to be happy healthy friendly well behaved members of the family they are wild and just because they are friendly does not make them any less wild animals, A domesticated animal for a pet is totally different from having a wild bird for a pet birds do not know they aren't suppose to chew your antique china cabnet or your favorite peice of furnature or your walls for that matter. It definetly take someone with a great deal of patience an love for birds to reap the benefits of owning one.

Macaws and apartments are not a good mix in my opinion. I have had folks contact me to purchase Macaw Babies that live in apartments and have refused (talked them out of it ) to sell them a baby. Trained right they are not constant screamers but the volume of the scream when it happens would upset a neighbor lets say that works the night shift and sleeps during the day. The town I am in has large yards 1 1/2 acre lots some folks 4 houses down bought( approximately 900 ft away )a baby from me and when they take him outside he will scream a few times I hear him plain as day. They can also hear my breeder pair of macaws and they are in an indoor aviary. Even the medium to large conures can cause problems in an apartment situation. There are so many types of parrots have you looked into any others that may be more suitable to your situation that raised right are just as affectionate?

There are senegals, meyers, Quakers(illegal in some states)cockatiels, caiques gosh just to name a few that are VERY affectionate if raised right and do not have the volume when they vocalize like a larger bird and also do not need the huge cage space that a macaw needs.

I just redid the link below the other one wouldn't work for me. Let me know if it doesn't work or just look up screaming macaw!

I found these videos of a GreenWing Screaming on YouTube

These are great examples of what they are capable of.

Teresa<br><br>Post edited by: teresasbirds, at: 2008/08/04 06:19

wow, loud video!

I have 2 B&G Macaws, 2 CAGs, and 2 Sun Conures, and to be honest with you all, the Macaws are the quietest. I also live in a large apartment, and the neibours are only bothered when I take the birds outside and they scream. (which they will only do if I go back inside)

• 3 months later...

Hi, Rosenzahra,

I agree, Macaws have no place in apartments.

teresasbirds says:

There are senegals, meyers, Quakers(illegal in some states)cockatiels, caiques gosh just to name a few that are VERY affectionate if raised right and do not have the volume when they vocalize like a larger bird and also do not need the huge cage space that a macaw needs.

Our Quaker is much louder than our Cockatiels are or our Eclectus ever was. He vocalizes very often, and he is loud.