NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How strong are their beaks?

Mel

I read the post of perching on shoulder which is my concern. I know everyone agrees it is personal choice. I like the idea of being able to use my hands while allowing him to roam with me on my shoulder. I am wondering if I would be starting a bad habit. Mainly how strong are their beaks? Can they take off a chunk of ear? We had a Macaw that previously was allowed to shoulder perch so she would go straight for the shoulder. She is a bird with wonderful personality but as someone said it seems Macaws can displace agression from fear as mine did only on two occasions that I got bit both times on the face yet she ADORES me. After learning Macaws are indeed able to take a chunk of ear I began training her to remain on my forarm. It took awhile but by straightening my arm at my side with a flexed wrist she learned I meant business. So at least she knew when I didn't want her on my shoulder and began to submit. I did still allow her on my shoulder at times still but we had an understanding. But since I am starting with a young CAG Iam trying to decide wether to allow it. I wonder if this bird can also learn to submit on command as he already is making attempts to get on my shoulder succeeding once. I am also keeping in mind that I am allowing a physical relationship with my 7 yr old and wonder if that would be an issue for them. Are CAG's less likely to displace fear like Macaws? How strong is a CAG's beak? Thanks, Mel.

Mel, I don't know how strong a grey's beak is - but it certainly is enough to do some serious damage! It really is a personal choice I've found. For me, I've always trusted Bella as she just doesn't have a malicious bone in her body. She gives me nips, but never bites per se. So, I guess it all comes down to the grey's personality and ones relationship with that grey.

Mel a greys beak could easily inflict severe damage,they are capable of very nasty bites which some of our members have experienced & required stitches for.If you are considering allowing your grey to ride on your shoulder then it is imperative that you teach your grey to step up on command,this will allow you to remove him from your shoulder.My macaw rides on my shoulder but steps up every time she is asked.Even so allowing any bird on your shoulder will always carry the potential risk of injury but it is a personal choice & a decision that only each owner can make.

I allow Josey on my shoulder but I am aware of her body language all the time she is there and it is not for long periods of time either. She has never bitten me but I know the possibility exists but as long as she comes down on command I have no problem with it.

It is a personal choice that each of us have to make but if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't do it, just that little bit of caution may trigger a reaction out of your grey.

So maybe I'll decide AFTER I am sure the command is understood. He is responding to step up because I know he is eager for attention. However I'm not confident yet that he understands he'll have to step up even if he doesn't care to because of knowing it's time to go to the cage or something. He is not exactly responding to step down yet as he loves to be held. I think when I feel comfortable with that then I'll consider to shoulder perch or not. I'm thinking for now I better wait. Thanks for your comments in helping me to consider this option.

I'm curious as to what were the circumstances that required stitches. Is it displaced agression from fear or being startled? Thanks.<br><br>Post edited by: Mel, at: 2008/07/16 20:37

Mel without doing a search which will take forever to find the thread, i believe it was an older grey,some nasty bites have been on the fleshy skin section between the thumb & finger,as to the circumstances im sorry i cant remember, if i do find the thread ill link it here ;)

I just finished looking up photos (online) of bite injuries/wounds inflicted by parrots in general. They aren't as bad as I expected, mostly severe pinches that pierced the flesh somewhat. But ears, noses, and chins are easier to lacerate, requiring stitches. They don't appear to "take chunks out" of their handlers, but they certainly can tear soft tissue (like ears, and noses.)

I used Google Images using: (parrot, bird) bite (injuries, wounds) in the search, and then scanned through all the unrelated pictures for the ones caused by birds.

Not for the very squeamish.

I allow my greys on my shoulder, but in the beginning it was for a very limited amount of time. It is their favorite place to be, and they will get dominate if you allow it all the time. As the bond and trust develops, you will find that you will be able to allow it when you want. But as the others stated, YOU must be able to train them to step up, or down on command.

One of my greys will step up all the time when asked, (I've taught her that since she was 10 weeks old) my other one doesn't know the command as well, gets confused when I ask her to step up off of my shoulder, and will only get off after I say step down. She is learning very quickly tho.

There will always be the risk of a bite, moving to quickly, they may startle. Getting too excited, feeling that they are more dominate over you. All things to consider and be careful of. I would be extremely careful of your 7 year old and having your bird on their shoulder. They are louder, display more energy, and greys are easily frightened:evil: by those things which could lead to a bite!

Well Brandi is mild mannered but I still suspect T-Bird might recognize she is smaller maybe even less confident and may try to be authoritive or bossy with her. This is one of the reasons I am unsure of allowing him to shoulder perch. I think regardless I should just monitor their contact at all times. Thanks for all the advice.