NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

wings clipped...

Japie

Today we had Japie's wings clipped... I felt rather sad, but the vet assured me that it was the safest route. We had lenghty debates over this in the past 5 weeks, since Japie took to the air all round the house...

The extreme heat was getting to us with doors and windows closed whenever Japie was not 'indoors'...

I am glad we gave him the oppertunity of 'free flight' for a while.

Just thought I would share this...{Nature-00020085}

So you decided to go for it after all ;)

How is Japie's reaction to this? Was he confused when he found out his flights restricted now? (because I assume he can still fly a short distance, no?)

Hallo... I'm in two minds whether I did the right thing. Japie has realised that the frantic flapping does not result in 'lift-off'.He looked a bit miserable?? He played on the tree thing all day and didn't even attempt to glide from it. Maybe the whole vet experience unsettled him a bit...

I have posted another pic of him with our daughter, they seem to enjoy each others company. She sings little made up songs to him constantly and he listens with great interest...

'Japie is die mooiste pappegaai in die hele wereld'

Will keep you up to date as soon as he does a gliding move...

Cherio! :)

Hallo daar, Japie :)

I can imagine it must be a dubious feeling since I know how many doubts you had about it in the first place. It is not always easy weighing the pro's and con's against each other in order to decide what is the best. Hopefully Japie gets used to it soon and look happy and your doubts will probably become less ;)

Yes, please- do keep me up to date - I really would like to know how he's adapting and how fast, if at all - thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

i got my birds wings clipped and she didnt really fly befor she had it done so she hasent missed it that much she jumps from her cage to the floor now and glides to the couch her mood never really changed after she had it done she was more fussed about the man handeling to the guy who clipped her

• 11 months later...
Guest Skuffy

Hello Japie...owwwwwww whats your mum done tto you..lol...only kidding.My Max has his wing's clipped and it doesn't seen to bother him all that much,just make sure Japie gets lots of exercise now he can't fly.I find that taking Max for a walk round the house and then let him climb back up is ladder to the top of his cage..I never pick him up and put him right up there he has to do it all himself, i do this 3times every morning after his breakfast.He only jumps on me he doesn't glide i think the Vet cut them a little to short atm i am looking for a new Vet this 1 doesn't seem to know much about Greys, only Avian Vet is at the other end of the country from me,but i'll find one:woohoo:

Guest Skuffy

I think ive found one out in Saddleworth..Small Village not many miles from me..There closed today except Emer...so i'll ring first thing in the morning..

school run for me now..back later..Ive posted another link in welcome room..about posting this Link..xxx cya later have fun every-1:silly: