NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First flight today....

Mel

and hit a window! Yikes. I read controversy on clipping or not and at least waiting until he learned to fly before beginning to clip. Geez, I'm not sure to clip or not. Other birds we've had were gotten at older ages and were already used to being clipped. Advice on clipping young birds please. Thanks, Mel

Don't clipped until they are proficient at flying and landing safely. Then you should only clip a little at a time (one flight feather at a time), until they are still able to fly, just not able to gain altitude. I don't clip my Grey, but do clip the parrotlets as they become little maniacs if they can fly anywhere they like. :evil: :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: M2MM, at: 2008/07/16 02:07

Mel you can get clingy things to put on your windows to lessen the possibility of them flying into them and M2MM is right, they need to learn how to fly and land properly before you ever clip any wings.

Clipping or not clipping wings is a debatable subject and some members feel very strongly about their choices but that is exactly what it is, your choice and you make it based on what you read and learn from others then decide for yourself what is best for you and your bird.

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering how safe he is flying around the house after banging into the window. I'm sure the ceiling fan needs to be off while he's out. Any other precautions I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the tips. For now I shut the blinds but I like my large kitchen view of our pond. I'll try some clingy things. He took his second flight today landing on top of the curtain rod. He stepped down obediently.