NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Visual Sexing

Falconeer

Hello All,

Look what I found...

"Observe your birds from about five to ten feet away, while on a perch or hanging upside down from the cage top, and flapping their wings. With this action you are able to distinguish three bands of grey on the underside of the wing. The top band is the feathers making up the ventral antebrachial coverts. The band directly below is the feathers of the minor ventral wing coverts. The last band consists of the primary remiges. In a hen these bands respectively "appear" grey, white and dark grey. The male "appears" grey, grey and dark grey. If you hold a bird, rather than viewing from five to ten feet away, and study this, your eyes "see" the actual different bands and you can not easily distinguish male from female."

I found this @ http://www.wingscentral.org/aps/Grey8.aspx

I still have to find out what Boo Boo is. He is quiet now and it's been with me only a little more than 12 hours.

By the way, this does not work for Timnehs.

Hmmmm interesting :dry: Do you think it's accurate? Anyway, let us know if you get a chance to look and tell us the results :lol:

• 4 months later...

It's accurate! Another couple that aren't mentioned on here are with the eyes. CAGS have a black ring around the edge of the eye, and on males it is much thicker, almost like they're wearing eyeliner. another is looking near the vent, there are about 6 tail feathers and if they have grey tips, it's a girl. Both my CAGS are sexed females, and they have those feathers, and the thin eye rings!

I have found the eye rings are inaccurate. Our grey had the Male type eyes, but we found out after DNA testing that she was a girl. I don't believe there is any other way to tell the sexing unless you do the DNA test.

Personally, for $20, I'll stick with recommending DNA as the most accurate.

It would be really interesting to do a "Blind" study of a group. Take 50 Grey's, that have been DNA tested and see how the "Visual" indicators measure up in accuracy.

Talon LOL!!

Yeah, the other error factor, is how experienced the person performing these visual indicators is.

I would imagine if you had visibly studied say 200 Grey's and noted the slight differences based on the sex of the Grey. Maybe they could obtain a 80 -95 percent accuracy.

But, one of us, looking at one or maybe three, would never reach that level of accuracy. I would think anyway :-)

Dan, the study I was referring to, had enlarged photos to study and compare. Talon definitely had the male eye. So I was convinced we had a boy. After DNA testing, the vet called to Congratulate us on our little GIRL! We called Talon a boy for a year and half. Tough habit to break!! :pinch:

Guest briansmum

well i know brians a boy, he came that way LOL. but the eye and tail thing does seem to check out with him, not sure about the wings though he seems to have some white feathers under there, though that could be because he's still a baby and does still have the odd baby fluffy feather or 2 on his body

Hmmmm Interesting!!!

George was DNA`d (supposedly) as a chick and i was informed that he was male. The vent feathers are indeed tipped with silver!!! I shall investigate further........!

:ohmy:

I shall be shortly having George DNA`d to confirm what I suspect that he is in fact a `Georgina`.

Along with the underside of the wings, eye shape and wing length it seems the strongest indication is indeed the vent feathers.

For anybody else intersted in this please check out the link below which depicts with extreme clarity the point in discussion.

http://exoticpetvet.net/avian/appgreys.html male228.jpg

male228.jpg

I've heard that the tail feather test (silver lining under tail) is only valid after the first molt - I believe it. I had Frankie sexed at around 7 months. He had the silver linings but I was pretty sure he was a boy - the vet looked at his tail and said he was probably a she. Tests came back and he's a boy. His first molt happened and now his tail is red red red. I think the eye test confirms - he has a pretty dark ring.

I'd be really shocked if he ever laid an egg, with his john wayne swagger and reaction to men B)

Stephanie

There is only one fool proof way to sex a grey. DNA period. Those are all myths and you do have a chance of being 50% right.

The breeder said Que was a girl based on eye shape.

I had her DNA'd and the breeder guessed right. /shrug

Guest Lidia

CAGs are monomorphic birds, the absolute only reliable way to sex them is by DNA. At least no one does surgical sexing anymore, which is how they used to have to do it. Poor birds.