NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Children and Greys

Nychsa

Greetings Everyone!

Well, most of the posts and articles I've read on this topic seem to indicate that greys and children don't mix particularly well.

I'm wondering if that is really a true statement, and if we shouldn't challenge that assumption a bit....

This weekend my grand daughter (5 yrs) once again demonstrated that she and Bella have a very special relationship, and one that to me really can only happen between a little girl and a young parrot.

This relationship started during our move to Florida and my daughter had the birds at her house for 2 weeks. My grand daughter spent just about all her time with the birds, playing in the room they were in, talking to them non-stop, telling them just about anything and everything that was going on in her mind.

Then my grand daughter stayed with me for 6 days and she and Bella seemed to take their relationship a step further - they actually got into a mode of mutually spinning each other up.

At night, when I would tuck Haley (my grand daughter) in and read her a story, Bella would sit on my shoulder. Bella really likes being read to as well! When I would share the pictures with Haley and turn the book away from Bella, Bella would get upset and pull the book back around so SHE could see the book! Of course Haley thought that was hillarious.

This weekend, Haley and Bella reconnected as if they were two little sisters. In the morning before breakfast they would bob up and down together, Haley would chatter, Bella would answer - it was as if they were feeding off each other's energy... It's a beautiful relationship.

Haley's imaginative vocabulary provides Bella with a whole new array of words, and Bella happily babbles everything right back at Haley.

They really enjoy each other's company and I think it would have been a mistake for me to have assumed Haley and Bella should be kept away from each other.

Of course Haley knows not to put her fingers into Bella's cage or try to crowd Bella or do anything else to cause Bella to feel anxious. With those ground rules laid and respected.. very lovely relationship has blossomed.

I'd love to hear other experiences of greys and children and how things are going......

Cheers!

Terri

Does she hold Bella? How old is Bella? My daughter is 7 and a mild mannered child. I am hoping they can build a relationship of trust for handling. Brandi has held T-Bird several times. T-Bird is 12 weeks old and has been with us for appx 10 days. Well today I went upstairs while my daughter was holding him. She hollared for me because she got bit. She says she was going to pet the bird when she got bit. I'm thinking she was moving over cautiously (slow) and the bird was anxious as to her move. I guess I better keep monitoring at all times. My daughter is scared now. I really hope it works out. Why do you say Greys aren't good with kids? Is it because of children who are rambunctious or simply because of a child's size. I'm hoping it works out. Thanks.

I see no reason as to why a grey cannot live happily in a family environment with young children.My kids were older,14 & 18 when i got my first two greys so i have no experience with younger kids & greys,but i do have a friend who visits & her kids are 6 & 9, they go in my grey room & handle my four greys without a problem.As with everything i have explained how to handle the greys & how to behave around them.I think personally it's down to educating the younger ones & setting boundaries for them.The big bonus here in the UK is that many breeders do raise their babies with children & that stands them in good steed for their new homes.

Hi there Mel,

Haley doesn't hold Bella. Bella is 14 months old and wieghs over a pound. While I think Haley could hold her, it would be wobbly, and Bella might try to use her beak to hang on if Haley's arm were to waver. So, we just leave well enough alone and Haley doesn't hold Bella.

Haley does know to only pet Bella on her head and only if Bella bows down to let her scratch her neck. Haley knows that if she strokes Bella's wings or tail like she would a dog, Bella could understand this to be hostiel and might bite. Haley does hold my conure Jiggy, and she applies the same rules - no crowding, don't reach for him in his cage, pet him on his head, not his wings etc..

Haley's relationship with Bella is really more verbal/mental interaction rather than a kind of touching relationship. I mean let's face it, only a child can chatter non-stop with a parrot! :laugh: It's almost as if they're completely on the same wave length. Haley was trying to teach Bella to call her Haley - she would point to herself and say "I'm Haley", but Bella kept saying back "Bella". Finally Haley gave up and said - "She just keeps introducing herself to me!" :laugh: If that is what's going on - I have no idea - but it was a hoot!

I hope it works out for you as well - it si a wonderful thing :)

Cheers!

Terri

Hi there Tracy,

I agree - if ground rules are laid, and everyone knows how to respect the greys, kids and greys should do just fine. I think real little ones (0-3) might not be such a good combo - but once a child can appreciate and respect where the grey is coming from - it can turn into a great friendship :)

I agree, it could successfully be accomplished, with the right child and the right Grey. ;-)

When Dayo was 16 through 24 weeks old, he would interact with the grand kids fairly well. They were of course "schooled" in how to gently and slowly approach and handle Dayo. They were also told about body language and if they see eyes pinned and feathers fluffed to leave him be and just talk to him.

After 24 weeks of age, Dayo decided he did not trust children any longer. This is due to how fast they move and in unexpected ways. I am speaking of children 4 to 8 years old. They run around with arms flapping, holding toys or what ever they are playing with and it freaks Dayo out.

The first time he screamed, the children of course thought that was hilarious....until I read them the riot act.:evil: But, you know children. Once they note something like that, they will do it just to see it again when they think you are not looking.:angry: I have had to go so far as to either call their mother to come and get one of the children or literally ban him from the room Dayo is in until either I take them home or their mother comes and picks them up.

What scares me the most, is I do not want Dayo to get fed up one of these Days and decide to start "Attacking" the monster to drive it away.

I do not want one of my grandchildren to suffer a severe bite that could possibly scar them for life. Dayo has never bitten them so far, but I know it is just an amount of time as he matures, if the children do not learn how to properly act around him.

My other grand children ages 12, 14 and 15 are ok with Dayo and when he wishes, he will step up for them. It's the little rug-rats from Hell that you need to watch. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/07/14 15:46

Ah Dan, you bring up a good point. The running around and acting crazy is something Bella doesn't appreciate either. She's ok with it as long as it's not around her cage. But, Bella taught Haley that herself.

When Haley would zip past Bella's cage or do something crazy, Bella would get on the highest perch fluff herself up and growl fiercely! This was back in Maryland when Bella was about 6 months old.

Haley learned to respect that growl because it sounded frightening! Even though I explained to Haley that she was spooking Bella, she'd do it again(just being a kid, not on purpose to spook Bella) - to only again get a growl.

Since Haley wasn't sure if Bella was going to come down off that perch and nab her, she learned to be calm around Bella's cage. Bella did a better job of training Haley than I did :laugh:

But if kids don't "get that", it could end up being a rocky situation.

Heheh... these are great stories! Dan, can I please get a copy of the riot act??

My nephews and nieces range from 1yr to 16yrs of age... Zahzu has a bit of a jealousy complex with the 1 and 2 year old nieces (it's not fair when they get baby talk and she doesn't!), but with the older kids she loves the attention. She really enjoys the screaming and shouting they do - and she joins in. She is usually only on her play stand on top of her cage, or in her cage when more than 2 of the kiddos are around.

The kids know they are not allowed to touch her, or get too close and stick fingers in the cage, so if ground rules are followed things are fine. The advantage is they are really scared of getting bitten (Zahzu has only ever bitten twice before!), so this encourages them to follow the rules. Even the little ones say "scared" if they come too close to Zahzu (and her beak!).

In the past I had a wonderful budgie, and he'd let children carry him, cuddle him and feed him - so if I had kids I probably would have opted for a smaller bird who can't do as much damage if frightened.

Hi there mas, it sounds like Zahzu ges spun up by the kid energy too. Bella really gets a bang out of the comotion and joins right in. Of course it becomes ear shattering (isn't it amazing how that doesn't seem to bother kids :blink: )

I have a 12 yr. old in the house all the time and she is very good with the birds she doesn't handle the bigger ones but she does the small ones. I find Tyco learns allot from her if she comes in to ask me something Tyco is always the first one to say what doya want Tyco also uses her voice to call me when I leave the room. I don't know how many times I've walked down the hall to ask Andraya my daughter what she wants only to have her look at my like I'm crazy and then I relize it was Tyco calling Mom MOm LOL But She and her friends know the rules about being around the birds and they are all very good about it. Andrayas friends love coming over and hearing the birds talk they will sit and talk to the birds for hours just to get a hello or whatca doing from the birds Its really quite cute to see how excited kids get over a bird that can talk.

Pat

I think everyone gets excited about birds that can talk. I have adult friends who sneak into my house really quietly and hide in the next room to hear Liath talk. They know if she knows they are there she won't utter a sound :laugh:

This was a great concern of mine before I got my TAG. I chose the TAG because of what I've read about them and a more laid back personality. From what I know now, it shouldn't matter whether TAG or CAG. I've had our baby for about 3 1/2 weeks now and he's about 9 weeks old. I introduced my kids right away but supervised. Bobot's cage, the baby TAG, is in the family room which usually is the most trafficked or busiest room in the house. On the weekends, we bring our birds out and place them on their perches most of the day. It took a little while for the baby TAG to get used to the commotion but now he just loves being with his flock. My feeling is it is 1/2 part introduction and 1/2 part consistency that will allow your grey to become accustomed to most any situation.