NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

which playstand?

SarahDavid

Anyone who have experience with this kind of playstand ? is it recommended for african grey or they dont like to spend really much time on it?

im very unsure about what kind of playstand i should get.

Here a link of it:

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Parrot_Playstands/PA5653

Is this kind better ? but its not easy to move around, and im not sure if manzita perch is good for parrots ?

http://www.birdsupplies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ADAV%2DSTT

If you know another better playstand i would appreciate getting the link for it.

Thanks zahra :)

The first one is boring for birds, i think of muself if i was stuck on a simple t-stand like that id be bored out of my head..the 2nd is a nicer one that ive seen, and yes manzita is a safe bird wood. I personally built my own stand and it cost me around $30 and 2 hrs of work and is pretty similar to the 2nd link one. I dunno i was really turned off when i saw the prices they were asking i feel so much better just doing it myself. If you want tips and a pic of mine ill be happy to share.

Thank you very much for your response its really appreciated i didnt think of the first one being boring, but now i know i shouldnt get it!

ofcourse its better to design your own playstand cheaper and you do it how you like it.

Yeah sure i would like to see how yours is and know how you do it.

Zahra

Im taking your advice and not getting the first playstand but i have a another question concerning the other playstand that i linked this one:

http://www.birdsupplies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ADAV%2DSTT

Is it apropiate for a grey its 2 feet, isnt too short ? or maybe its one you put on table or something because i think it was called tabletop playstand ?

as you can hear no experience with parrots :blush:

Thanks Zahra

That one is probubly a little small for your grey I noticed they come in different sizes you would want to get the one for large birds not the one for small birds. It really is easy to build a playstand yourself for allot less money there are a few links on this site with playstands built from pvc pipes and They are great playstands for birds take a look around you may get some Ideas

Pat

I have to agree If you have a congo especially thats a big bird, I have a Timneh and he spends most of the day on it so I had to make mine large enough. If you just need a small one to have in a room while your in there like i have a smaller stand i built in my office that so they are with you then it would work, but not a considerable amount of time.

Im trying to get my digital camera back to take an updated pic of mine but Ill include a old one before i did renovations to it lol. Now its twice as large like height wise and lots of toys and tree limbs etc.

Guest briansmum

the first stand i got for brian was very similar to the one from dr foster and smith in the link posted above, and i was actually rather dissapointed with it. the pain perching area was a square shape, not round which can' have been good for him long term. the dishes screw on through the bottom so you cant take them off when they have stuff in... very inconvenient and even though i got the correct size for brian there wasn't much space for him to move about on it.

the rule of thumb with stands, as with cages, is the bigger the better. if you are creative you can make a great one yourself. however if you're buying shop around a bit. i found this site and it has some great examples on it

http://www.birdieplaystands.com/

I'm faced with the same problem. I want a playstand with enough activities and features so my TAG won't get bored. I read about creating PVC play stands and it seems pretty simple. The only issue I'm struggling with is to provide enough gripping surface on the PVC. The two options talked about are - sanding PVC to provide a rough surface or using burlap. I like the burlap idea but I don't know how to get it to stay on the PVC piping. I'll keep you posted on my grand design in the coming weeks.<br><br>Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/07/15 22:50

Cdelatorrejr: I've also read about using Vetwrap on the PVC pipes, it is used to wrap around horses legs- it is stretchy and sticks to itself. It may be worth a try. I found some at my local Walmart and plan to try it myself one day.

My husband added wooden sides that angle outward like this one at the bottom to catch droppings. That was a nice feature. I'll have to see if I have a pic. I'm fixing to build a larger table top for my guy. I gotta pull out the elec saw. Hand saws are ridiculous! I hope to finish this weekend. I'd like to see some other pics of those hand made. Thanks!http://www.birdsupplies.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=ADAV%2DRD