NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WD-40?

jonathan_split

Hey all,

Pynchon's cage lock has become extremely difficult to close and open, and it probably needs some sort of lubrication. I'm scared as heck though to use some of my wd-40! Could anyone tell me if wd-40 could potentially be harmful to our birds, and/or give a suggestion on a safer alternative? thanks much!

The makers of WD-40 claim up, down and sideways that it's 100% nontoxic and could even be eaten straight form the can without harm (if you'd ever want to). But that's for humans...

That said, I've used WD-40 on the cage hinges for years and my bird only limps around a *little bit* and seldom flies in circles. :) Seriously, just give it 10 minutes to evaporate before you put the bird back in the cage - the propellant goes away shortly,. leaving behind the very thin oil.

The only thing I worry about with cooking oil is that it DOES evaporate and trap dirt and becomes sticky sludge over time - food grade mineral oil seems safest, ifyou distrust WD-40.<br><br>Post edited by: ImagoX, at: 2008/07/10 21:14

Thanks everyone! I'll probably go for the wd-40 (crosses fingers!). On a similar topic, a piece of my parrotlet's cage has fallen off (food tray handle came in broken) and its made of bamboo, would a little super glue on it harm her? She wont be touching the actual part, just worried about any smells it may emit that may be harmful. thanks again!<br><br>Post edited by: jonathan_split, at: 2008/07/11 06:05

All!!!

WD 40 is Toxic!!!!!

You should NEVER use it anywhere near your birds or on parts it could possibly beak and lick.

I posted an answer to a question similar to this just a few days ago on a stuck lock. It can and will kill your Grey or any oher bird for that matter.

The ingredients:

Chemical Name CAS Number % ACGIH/OSHA

Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 100 ppm PEL

Petroleum Base Oil 5 mg/M3 TWA (mist)

LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 1200 mg/M3 TWA

Carbon Dioxide 5000 ppm PEL

Health hazards:

Aspiration Hazard: If swallowed, can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis. Do not induce vomiting. Call Physician immediately.

Inhalation (Breathing): May cause anesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper respiratory irritation.

Skin contact: May cause drying of skin and/or irritation.

Eye contact: May cause irritation, tearing and redness.

Ingestion (Swallowed): May caused irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

First Aid Emergency Procedures

Ingestion (Swallowed): Do not induce vomiting, seek medical attention.

Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with large amounts of water for 15 minutes.

Skin Contact: Wash with soap and water.

Inhalation (Breathing): Remove to fresh air. Give artificial respiration if necessary.

If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.

The ONLY lubricant you should ever use for your cage would be food grade silicone or grease.

THANK YOU DAN! I knew you would come here and set everyone straight. My message just didn't cut it. :S They need YOUR scientific information, and I am SO glad you are here to provide it. You saved another bird! Way to go!! :woohoo: Karma for you.....:kiss: