NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

broken feather

jackyboy

jack had to have all his flight feathers pulld from 1 wing as breeder didnt clip the wing properly and was causing him some discomfort not to mention that they would never have grown back. Any ways there were 2 new feathers coming through but he seems to have managed to bend one, even thou he is in a smaller cage to try and minimise injury till the wing has grown back fully. I'm not sure what to do now will it repair or does he need to have it pulled again as i dont think he will like to go see the man again so soon?

If the bent feather isn't bleeding, then don't consider pulling it, leave it alone. BTW, did your vet pull the feathers? and did he use anesthesia? Feather pulling hurts like h-e-l-l!

Smaller cages are generally used when birds injure their keel (breast), but not when they are missing a majority of flight feathers. It's likely the small space that caused your Grey to bend one of the new feathers.

I hope helps explain things. :dry:

Hey Jackyboy,

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad wing clip - went through the same thing with our bird (take a look at past posts); anyway, glad to hear problem is taken care of because your birdy might have ended up plucking if it wasn't managed well!

Zahzu has gone under anaesthetic 3 times this past few months, as a result of the bad wing clip, and spent a few weeks feather plucking! She seems to have stopped now, but has no flight feathers, and on her left side of her body looks really ratty!

Make sure you keep a very close eye on things, and if any additional irritation occurs or behaviour changes - take her to the vet.

Good luck :)

btw, we didnt' change the cage zahzu is in, she's still in her big cage :)

-Sameera

Glad to hear that you've been able to tackle the problems left over from a bad clip. I agree that Jack should probably be in a full size cage. Taking Dorian out in a small cage, even for a couple of hours, I've seen him almost get a wing caught trying to do a big stretch, and that's one reason he's never out of my sight when we're outside. If Jack has room to stretch, play, maybe even flap his wings without interference from bars or toys, it might help him to heal faster physically, maybe even help him emotionally. Just take care to introduce any changes gradually. You know your bird and how well he handles change. Let that be your guide (and of course we're here)

I was told that the smaller cage was best so he cant fall or damage the new feathers coming through as he does tend to fall alot whist in his mad 30 mins that he has. And because of the bad clipping he has hurt his chest which is healing nicely now thank god.

I found a bird centre which pulled the feathers as he breeds lots of breeds of bird he told me it was like pulling a hair on our heads so there was no need for an anaesthetic??????????

jackyboy wrote:

I was told that the smaller cage was best so he cant fall or damage the new feathers coming through as he does tend to fall alot whist in his mad 30 mins that he has. And because of the bad clipping he has hurt his chest which is healing nicely now thank god.

I found a bird centre which pulled the feathers as he breeds lots of breeds of bird he told me it was like pulling a hair on our heads so there was no need for an anaesthetic??????????

As far as the cage is concerned, you can lower all the perches and pad the floor of the cage with a blanket (put newspaper on top to catch the mess). This will protect your bird from re-injury (of his keel).

The guy at the bird centre is an idiot! (pardon my french) Pulling flight feathers is very painful for the bird. If you look at the size of the shaft, it is MUCH larger than any human hair. If you had hairs that large you would need pliers to pull them (which is exactly the equipment required for feather pulling. I would equate it to having your fingernails pulled out (or nearly that.)

Please, if you have to have feathers pulled in future, ask you avian vet for help. At the very least, he should be on pain medication for 24 hours after such a drastic procedure. :(

OMG, he pulled those flight feathers without any anesthesia:ohmy: :angry: I would be mad as hell too, I know that would be very painful, NO I absolutely wouldn't take Jack back to see him, right now punching his lights out sounds better and better:angry: :angry:

• 1 month later...