NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Noise-level ?

SarahDavid

Hi

I have been doing much research about african grey lately but havent been able to get to a conclusion about african greys noise-level

i live in an apartment and was wonering if African grey makes good apartment pet or it will most likely be a problem for neighbours and people you live with ?

A breeder told me they do fine in apartment but made a call 1 minute earlier to a person who just sold his parrot and he told me they are pretty noisy so who should i believe?

I hope i can get an answer from you;)

Thank you very much

Zahra

I wouldnt consider my greys to be any noisier than my three children;). If the appartment building allows children, then they shouldnt have any problem with greys. As parrots go they are definitely quieter than many others.

But they do make noise, they are still a parrot!

I think it all depends on the individual bird. Our grey is generally quiet and does little clicks and talks throughout the day. She gets rather excited when "Daddy" is home or at tea time, then she can be very noisy at times and it hurts your ears!:( They definitely all have the ability to be extremely noisy, but some are just quieter birds than others!

I have both a grey and a sun conure and the conure is by far the noiser bird, unless she is going thru her vocabulary of words and phrases that she does several times a day she is relatively quiet. But then some are louder than others as they all are individuals and as such will vocalize differently.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about you.

My last bird was an eclectus, and he could SCREAM! LOL Jenna is an 8 month old CAG, and she can whistle and make microwave noises that get pretty loud, but she is NOTHING like my eclectus boy was. One of the reasons I ended up deciding on a grey is that they are generally not screamers, and hubby got very tired of the volume! ~wink~

Id have to agree Zuri is a Timneh and I have to say hes been amazing compared to my alexandrine. Yes he has him moments but they dont last long and i have to blame my alexandrine tiago for teaching him some louds clicks that hurt but before that just whistles were as loud as he would muster. I find when i have the a/c on or tv loud he gets louder and thats natural he wants to be heard thats all.

Id have to agree Zuri is a Timneh and I have to say hes been amazing compared to my alexandrine. Yes he has him moments but they dont last long and i have to blame my alexandrine tiago for teaching him some louds clicks that hurt but before that just whistles were as loud as he would muster. I find when i have the a/c on or tv loud he gets louder and thats natural he wants to be heard thats all.